Loose primer pockets?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I've seen several posts lately on loading forums where people are getting loose primer pockets after 1 or 2 firings and claiming no signs of high pressure. Isn't a loose primer pocket with so few firings a sign of high pressure in itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it is, most signs of high pressure are a maybe, unless you have more than 1 sign, say flattened primers, a flattened primer itself means little, accompanied by heavy bolt lift or sticky extraction then its an issue, the one definitive sign of over pressure is head case expansion, and that is what causes loose pockets.
RR

Sure high pressure loads will do that, but I also think manufactures are working the system with built in life expectancy!! The only Companies that don't are RWS, and in a way Lapua.

some brass can take more pressure than others, brass is a mixture of copper and zinc, the ratio of each is what makes it hard or soft, thats why lot to lot all brass varies to some degree, yes lap and RWS is good, as is norma, Winchester is good on good lots but varies a lot
RR

Echoing the above, it really varies brand to brand and lot to lot. I have seen some factory cartridges be loose after the initial firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TackDriver284":ru1l6mms said:
Federal Gold Medal brass is so soft that it gets loose primers in two firings as well.

I was giver 1,100+ rounds of Federal .308 Win. Gold Medal Match brass that was once fired in rifles issued to a SWAT team. Once fired only and the primer pockets are so loose so as to make the brass unsuable. Planned that way of just crappy brass????????????? CCI primers are a little fatter than Winchesters and even they're quite loose. :x Good thing they were free.
Paul B.

I pierced a primer today, and upon inspection noted that it had been marked to discard after the next firing. This is WW brass which has probably been fired several times. It did gum up my firing pin spring which had to be dissembled and cleaned. I believe that is my second one in 50+ years of reloading.

In echoing the posts regarding Federal brass, this isn't coming from me because I can't say I've ever reloaded it, but I've seen the same comments before. Basically stating Federal brass is too soft to be useful for reloading and should be avoided.

Back