M1 Garand 168 BTHP

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Looking to work up some match loads for the M1 garand. I've got the Nos 168 or 155 BTHP on hand.

Wife spent too much on the damn horse this fall so I guess my hobby is on hold. An Olympic arms A2 DCM black rifle is not in my immediate future so I'll be shooting this OTC to 600 yards. Loads need to function from magazine and reliably cycle the rifle.

I've got HXP mil brass but wouldn't be opposed to picking up some PRVI or Lapua brass for my LR match loads. What have you guys had luck with in the old M1?

I can check when I get home. I have a load for a Hornady 165gr BTSP. I think it was with 4895, but don't quote me on that. It shot about 2.5" in my worn CMP rack-grade M1. I don't recall it shooting much better with my minty 1954-vintage Springfield Armory that is correct, though, and that one has a pristine barrel.

I don't know that I'd drop serious coin on brass for an M1. It's pretty rough on brass from what I've seen.

I also have ton of HXP and LC brass. I figured I'd use that, although I did my loading for it so far with Hornady brass. I've gotta have 1500 pieces of HXP and LC combined, though.

This one will shoot. I've gotten it to approach MOA with '60s Lake City Match ammo. Too bad that stuff is getting rare as hen's teeth and expensive if you are lucky enough to find it.

On another note, does anybody out there make a .308 173gr match grade FMJ? That would be perfect.

I load the 155 CC with IMR 4064 for all my High Power stuff. We just have a 300 yard range so we shoot the reduced target for 600 yard. HXP brass and Rem 9 1/2 primer make for a good combination.

The Hornady manual has a great section on loads just for the Garand. I use Varget and Biggame powders in my 4 m1's- All cmp guns- yep IHC, WRA, HRA and SA. One of each manufacture. WRA and SA are 1944 and '45. the HRA & IHC are 53 and 54. Only the WRA doesn"t have the correct barrel. I have 2 new in wrapper SA 1951 barrels if I ever need a replacement barrel.

My go to load for M1 Garands is as follows:

WW-Cases
CCI-200 LR Primers
IMR-4064 @ 48.5 grs
168gr HPBT or 155 HPBT (Both Nosler CC)

Velocity by chronograph

155 gr = 2800FPS

168gr = 2700FPS

Both bullets use the same powder charge and I let the rifle tell me what it likes best. Ejection patterns match up with HXP ball.

I have used 49 grs of IMR 4895 and 150 gr bullets, which is the classic M2 Ball powder.

As is normal, start a few grains low and work up.

If you use IMR-4895-4064-4320 powders and use medium loads targeting 2700 to 2800 fps for 150 to 168 gr bullets, you will have safe loads for your op rod. Never load more than 52 grs of powder for a Garand unless you have a vented or ported gas plug. The op rod speed is determined by gas volume and over 52 grs of powder is pushing things. Most people us 47 to 50 grs of these powders.

Hope the info helps.

I have won a few matches with my 1954 Springfield M1 Garand with this load.
LC Match case, CCI BR2 primer, 48 grs IMR 4895, Nosler 155 Match bullet, OAL 3.334 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on this load. This load shoots really well in my 1903A3 Springfields also.

The Sierra 175 gr Match King HPBT will do nicely to replace the old 173 gr Match bullet.

46 grs IMR 4064 with the 168 gr bullets is a popular accurate load for the M1 Garand.

You don't want to push the pressure too high with these old war horses. They were designed to operate at about standard starting loads to mid loads that we have listed in the manuals these days. Stay in the powder burn rate of no slower than IMR 4320 or faster than IMR 3031 and your port pressure will be OK. The only primers that I have had trouble with slam fire (doubling or tripling) is Federal. Rem, WW, CCI and CCI BR have work perfectly.

Back