M1917 project

The scope base is milled to fit the barrel contour. Its not terribly difficult if you have the right math skills, sadly I don’t, but my buddy does.
31756757.jpg

I think those big eared sights are probably some of the best open sights ever made for a big game hunting rifle. There is really no way to mount a conventional scope on the rifle with those big sights sitting back there. I removed the elevator portion of the sight and drilled it out a touch to make a ghost ring. You could throw it out of an airplane and I bet those sights would still be fine.

Shown with and without the scope. The light is for night time bear defense. I actually have used this to stop charging bears and I think the bright light and manly screaming (kinda manly?) are what stopped the charge. I use this same light on several different guns, was on the 375 RUM when used to stop a charge.

As to using the scout scope. The biggest thing is that you have to get over the fact that it isn’t a conventional scope. You can’t expect it to act like one. The scout scope is at its best with both eyes open using it more like a holosight or red dot than a scope. Another mistake is to try shooting at the normal grid style targets. Instead shoot at large solid color circular targets, 6-8” circles, red or yellow work best for me. It is possible to aim for the center of that circular target even at longer ranges. It takes a little practice but can be done.

When in use the scout is highly practical. At normal hunting ranges it is fast and accurate. There is a reason that they champion these things for tactical/practical use.

As to reboring your original barrel I would look at the 9.3x66 aka 370 sako, its based of 06 basic brass so it should be easier to make brass for than the 9.3x62. I have seen people make brass for 9.3x62 from 06 brass but its not quite as long. The 375 and 400 whelen are also really cool cartridges. there are some pretty cool .411 bullets on the market now to choose from. It would make a cool hammer for bears and elk.

I thought about building a 9.3X66 at one point. It looks like a great cartridge. It hasn't taken off just yet, but as the 9.3X62 continues to gain followers (Keep up the good work, Barsness), I would imagine that the other 9.3 mm cartridges will pick up a measure of popularity.

The 9.3x57 is a cool little brother to the bigger 9.3s. fits easily in a plethora of cheap mausers, and works well with 230-270gr bullets.

I love my Remington 1917. It's a vintage sporter with schnabel stock. The recoil pad is old and I traced it to the 1930's. Original barrel cut to 22" , ears ground off, stripper clip slot gone, etc.,all done very professionally. Finish is ok as I had to take some surface rust off but thats excusable as it sat in a storage locker and I bought it off a guy clearing it out for $35.00. The best part is it shoots sub-moa all day long with handloads, often sub half moa, and its two best groups (100 yards) were .082 and .071! :grin:

I thought it was my 1917, but some young fellow seems to be using it most of the time anymore. Dad said the same thing about 40 years ago when I started using it more than he did... :grin:

Son with the 1917 & his bear last fall. He zinged it pretty good from 320 yards:

Big grin and the 1917 again, a couple of years ago.

Practicing at 100, 200 & 300 yards, shooting paper plates. One week before he shot the bear. It's a good rifle. Simple. Rugged. And there's a lot of family range & hunting history with it.

Guy

Awesome pictures Guy and that boy does shoot that rifle really well. I can see why he likes it so much. Looks really well set up too.

Thebear_78":3stmyath said:
What stock is that guy?

That's the Bell & Carlson stock. It's decent, not a McMillan, but not like the cheap "tupperware" type stocks either. Good design, decent material, fiberglass with a good recoil pad.

We've got a fixed 6x Leupold on it. I've also used a fixed 2.5x Leupold when I was thinking it was going to be a modest range bear & black timber elk rifle. Then I went kind of nuts about this 6x scope... :grin:

He hasn't practiced as much as me from sling-only positions, so still favors the bipod when a longer shot is likely.

Guy

That is the same stock as on my 9.3, I had to lower the comb a little to use with open sights. Once bedded is seems like a decent stock, quite stiff and very durable. I was guessing that to be the b&c but it could have been the mpi. I haves handled one of the p17 mpi stocks and was looking for a first hand review. It's a good looking rifle

The only potential problem for me, and I'll have to contact B&C, is that my rifle has a straightened trigger guard, which was not an uncommon practice in the 50's (when my dad had it made into a sporter). It looks like the B&C is contoured for a "stock" trigger guard with the belly in it.

I'll have to contact them and see what they offer. I'd really like to see my 1917 sporter in a decent stock. I think it would help it out quite a bit.

Yes, my rifle too had the straightened trigger guard/magazine floor plate.

I was able to find an un-altered original to match the B&C stock contour.

tddeangelo":2kcso8yc said:
I can do that, too.....I thought of that.

HA! Sounds like the wheels are turning.. I like it! Guy Miner does his work ever so gently..

Mike, you see this, even Guy's getting in on the action! :lol:

Back