M1A or Black service rifle?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Hoping to finally afford a rifle for NRA service rifle shooting this year. Although most of the top shooters are using black rifles, I've looked at some by Stag, Olympic and DPMS, I still love the feel of a wood and steel gun so I'm leaning towards an M1A Natl Match model. I'm also already set up and experienced at reloading 762 NATO so that's another strike against the AR platform. Going over the ballistics even the best AR loads won't buck the wind at 600 yards like a 175 BTHP or even a 168 Scenar. Also there are more events I can shoot (trophy match, M1A match etc) with the M1A if I make it to Perry someday in addition to OTC high power svc rifle.

In favor of the AR is cheaper reloading cost, more accessories available, less recoil and cheaper options for an off-the-shelf match ready rifle and adaptability to double service as varmint rifle with the addition of a detachable scope mount.

I've also considered an accurized Garand tricked to the legal limit for CMP shooting.

Opinions anybody :wink: ?

Polaris":2p0h80in said:
Hoping to finally afford a rifle for NRA service rifle shooting this year. Although most of the top shooters are using black rifles, I've looked at some by Stag, Olympic and DPMS, I still love the feel of a wood and steel gun so I'm leaning towards an M1A Natl Match model. I'm also already set up and experienced at reloading 762 NATO so that's another strike against the AR platform. Going over the ballistics even the best AR loads won't buck the wind at 600 yards like a 175 BTHP or even a 168 Scenar. Also there are more events I can shoot (trophy match, M1A match etc) with the M1A if I make it to Perry someday in addition to OTC high power svc rifle.

In favor of the AR is cheaper reloading cost, more accessories available, less recoil and cheaper options for an off-the-shelf match ready rifle and adaptability to double service as varmint rifle with the addition of a detachable scope mount.

I've also considered an accurized Garand tricked to the legal limit for CMP shooting.

Opinions anybody :wink: ?

Heck, if wood and blue suit you, go for it. The black gun will never feel right to you.

I carried an M-16A2 in Iraq, and never did like that thing much. So my vote would be the Garand.

If the choices included the SCAR or the LMT, I would probably pick those over the Garand.

I think the Garands are finicky to reload for. But they are way cooler than the AR.

Depends what you want to get out of Highpower match shooting. It's an awful lot of fun, and challenging too.

You're more likely to win some matches and be more competitive with an AR-15 rifle.

Some guys do shoot very well with a 7.62 M1A, and if you enjoy shooting it more, I think that's the one to use. You'll be able to beat some of the AR-15 shooters, but it will be tough to beat the best of them. There's a reason the AR-15 dominates anymore.

So, pick the one you want. Either can be very accurate and shoot well. My advice would be to shoot the one that puts the biggest grin on your face.

Me? I've shot with the AR-15, but in recent years I've mostly shot the matches with a bolt action rifle. Funny thing, at our local matches I used to at least keep up with the AR-15 guys for both time and score on the rapid fire stages. It's pretty funny to beat the semi-autos while reloading from the top with a stripper clip and working a bolt... :grin: I can't do that against guys who are very good at the rapid fire stages with their AR-15's though. Been a while since I shot an across the course match. They're fun!

Regards, Guy

I really don't like the feel of AR's, but a lot of people love them. I'm an owner of 4 Garands an a carbine- so I say M1A nm since you already load for it and it is a very accurate weapon.

Guy Miner":oyfozg1v said:
Me? I've shot with the AR-15, but in recent years I've mostly shot the matches with a bolt action rifle. Funny thing, at our local matches I used to at least keep up with the AR-15 guys for both time and score on the rapid fire stages. It's pretty funny to beat the semi-autos while reloading from the top with a stripper clip and working a bolt... :grin: I can't do that against guys who are very good at the rapid fire stages with their AR-15's though. Been a while since I shot an across the course match. They're fun!

Regards, Guy
Guy...Wish I could shoot my K-31 or G11 OTC. The guys here are pretty fussy. They'll let me shoot them in Garand/M1a matches but not service rifle, even just for fun/unofficial score. I've placed a self-imposed ban on my K31 for bolt rifle matches. It's just too good, I've won 5 in a row now locally. I'll shoot a mosin next time for those. You should get yourself a K-31 and some stripper clips while they're affordable. Great bolt rifle, really cool piece of engineering.

Think I'm sold on the M1A now. I also want to test my theory that the AR15 being the better rifle is a self fullfilling prophecy. Most of the best shooters have skin in the AR game or used an AR in the military so that's what they shoot. Others follow the lead set by the top shooters, lots of people just like black rifles, there's just more of them out there now. No doubt it's an extremely accurate rifle but I know what a K31 or Garand can do in my hands against some of the top shooters (3 guys that are consistently top 20 Natl service rifle shooters at Perry show up to our local Sprgfld or Garand matches from time to time, they used to dominate :p, now they're developing 7,5X55 loads I think ), think I'll see what I can do with an M1A and lots of practice.

I think we all detected a strong bias towards the M1A in your initial post. :grin:

A good M1A in the hands of a good rifleman can still be competitive! Enjoy.

joelkdouglas":1lw9cxiy said:
I carried an M-16A2 in Iraq, and never did like that thing much. So my vote would be the Garand.

If the choices included the SCAR or the LMT, I would probably pick those over the Garand.

I think the Garands are finicky to reload for. But they are way cooler than the AR.

+1 After you carry them for awhile oversees, you realize they are garbage. I wouldn't take an M4 if you paid me to take it!

i knew i guy who can hit a body size target at 1000 yards try that with ar15 (mickey mouse gun) thats what they called it when i went for the course

ScreaminEagle":mium6ofy said:
joelkdouglas":mium6ofy said:

+1 After you carry them for awhile oversees, you realize they are garbage. I wouldn't take an M4 if you paid me to take it!

Man, you are hard on the M4's! I have been carrying one for awhile, and haven't found it to be too bad. I do carry a HK416 now and with the upgraded 77gr bullets, it is a little better!

Im no Vet so anything they say will likely and deservedly so have more merit than I. But I have shot both the M1A and AR type rifles extensively in informal and formal target shooting and say that I am a sucker for that M1A rifle and caliber 7.62 for that kind of shooting.

Either the 5.56 or 7.62 are easy to reload for and extremely accurate loads. I guess if it was 200 meters or less the difference would be tough to notice. At longer ranges the 7.62 always takes the cake in my way of thinking. Still its whatever suits you friend...

Just my $0.02...

SJB358":agdy89ev said:
ScreaminEagle":agdy89ev said:
joelkdouglas":agdy89ev said:

Man, you are hard on the M4's! I have been carrying one for awhile, and haven't found it to be too bad. I do carry a HK416 now and with the upgraded 77gr bullets, it is a little better!

Scotty, I just don't like them. They clank and rattle. Not traits of a quality rifle. And the knock down power, or lack there of, leaves much do be desired.

All true SE. Can't disagree with you at all. They aren't very good killers at all. I havent had a personal AR in about 10 years. With the 243 WSSM OR 25 WSSM, I think I could get behind one of them.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the M4 has never let me down. That 5.56NATO leaves a pretty nasty wound channel as well.

SJB358":1uyics4i said:
All true SE. Can't disagree with you at all. They aren't very good killers at all. I havent had a personal AR in about 10 years. With the 243 WSSM OR 25 WSSM, I think I could get behind one of them.

That would be cool. I'm saying i would never own a bone stock AR or other variant. But a custom built one in 204 Ruger or 264 LBC AR does look appealing!

ScreaminEagle":2pfwflgu said:
SJB358":2pfwflgu said:

That would be cool. I'm saying i would never own a bone stock AR or other variant. But a custom built one in 204 Ruger or 264 LBC AR does look appealing!

I find the 223 lacking at distance like others here. Scotty and me have talked about this and agree a 243WSSM upper will be the way to go for the next AR.

I've got AR's in 5.56, 25wssm, and 458 socom, if you get and 8 twist and can find a dpms vld mag to load 75 gr bullets long, the 223 will surprize ya, it becomes a totaly different beast
000_0160.jpg

RR

Very nice RR! I agree, the heavier 224 bullets really turn the 223 into a whole nother animal...

Back