M48 Predator 22-250

Curtis Pittman

Beginner
Nov 5, 2009
I just got the M48 a couple of days ago and have been so excited to carry it to the range that I couldn't wait for the Nikon Coyote scope I ordered to arrive. So, I stuck a Simmons Aetec Master Series 2.8-10x44 I had on top of this little beauty and loaded a few 40 and 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and was off to the range. The 40 grains are riding 34 grains of Varget and the 50 grains were launched by 38 grains of Winchester 760. The results speak for themselves!
scan0001-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Oh, yeah. That'll do! I can imagine your excitement. Congratulations on a great rifle chambered in a classic cartridge. I can see coyotes will be somewhat more worried in your neck of the woods.

I consider myself a novice shooter at best. I can only imagine what a real shooter could do with this thing!

Curtis Pittman

Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your M48 22-250. She is a beauty for sure.
Nice shooting. Give the 50 gr BT a try with 36.0 grs Varget. This load shoots .4" out of my M700 VLS.

JD338

Curtis Pittman":eayae683 said:
Thanks! I'll load a few of those up the next time I go out.

Curtis,

Here is the load......
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

JD338

That's a fine group. I'm just about to go upstairs and load a few up. BTW, are you neck sizing or full length sizing? Also, if neck sizing, are you using a bushing type die and if so, what size bushing? I'd like to match your neck tension if possible.

Curtis

I am using RCBS FL die and doing a partial FL resize.

JD338

Thanks,

I just loaded a few of my empties from today and neck sized them only. I loaded the 36 gr of Varget. I'll let you know how I do tomorrow.

I really appreciate the information.

Curtis

Keep in mind that 36.0 grs is a MAX load, safe in my rifle. You may want to fire a couple rounds below this charge weight to ensure it is safe in your rifle.
Maybe 34.0, 34.5. 35.0 and 35.5 grs. :wink:

JD338

I'm thrilled with the entire rifle. Many of the stocks on many rifles have cheekplates etc. that you really cannot feel or are improperly contoured. Every little curve and angle on this stock has a place and a function. The Timney trigger is as crisp as a corn flake! Less than 2 lbs of pull. I shot the above group off of a Caldwell Fire Control rest. I'm sure I can tighten it up with a sand bag rest. I'll post more target pictures in the next few days. Superb Rifle!

JD338":26n0p4lk said:
Curtis

Keep in mind that 36.0 grs is a MAX load, safe in my rifle. You may want to fire a couple rounds below this charge weight to ensure it is safe in your rifle.
Maybe 34.0, 34.5. 35.0 and 35.5 grs. :wink:

JD338

The Hodgdon load data actually shows 37.5 grains as a max load on a 50 gr. bullet so 36 should be ok. In fact, they show almost 36 grains on a 60 grain bullet which would generate higher pressures than the 36 on the 50 grain. At any rate, I'll heed your advice.

Thanks again!

JD338,

I tried the 36 grains of Varget today at the range. While I was able to shoot about a 3/4 inch group, the M48 seems to like the Win 760 the best. My groupings were well inside of 3/8inch again today with that combination of 760 and 50 gr BT's. Thanks again for the input.

Curtis

Well, every rifle is different. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks for trying my load. Sounds like you found what your rifle likes.
Good job with your load development.

JD338

Thank you. I plan to shoot again this week from some sand bags. As tight as this rifle is grouping from a frame rest, it is surely bound to do better off of bags.

JD338":2wqsfffz said:
Curtis

Well, every rifle is different. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks for trying my load. Sounds like you found what your rifle likes.
Good job with your load development.

JD338

Every reloader and shooter are different also and those are very big variables to say the least.

Curtis,

What twist does your rifle have? If faster than 1:12, you might also want to try the 60 gr BT. This would make for an awesome coyote bullet.
My 700 VLS is 1:14 and wont shoot the 60 gr BT, groups were 4-5"!

JD338

Try the 60 gr BT, it will carry more energy down range and will really work well on coyotes.

JD338

Back