M70 Day at the Range

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I had the day off from work today and wanted to do a little more shooting with the 300WSM, so I figured what the heck, I brought along my 300, 270, and 7WSM's. I also brought the 338WM in order to tune the BOSS a little and see what it netted for me.

Well, first up was Old Faithful which is the M70 270WSM Laminated. It has been the most reliably accurate and easy to load for rifles for me. Just hammers just about anything you wanna put through it, and does it pretty nicely. These are 150 PTs, 65.5 RL22, WW Nickel Cases, and CCI250 primers. These run about 3125 outta my rifle.

IMG_0824.jpg

I threw one outta this group, but you can see why it is kinda the least used rifle. It always shoots pretty good for me.

IMG_0825.jpg

Next up was the little 7WSM. Same exact rifle as the 270WSM, just a 7WSM. This rifle is another that seems like it is fighting the 270 for a favorite status.

My load for this rifle is the 160AB, 67 RL22, WW cases and a CCI250. These run about 3120 across the chrono.

Here is a typical 3 shot group out of the rifle.

IMG_0826.jpg

Here are 6 shots, with me messing the 5th shot and not wanting to leave it like that, I put another in there.

IMG_0817.jpg

I also shot a bunch of rounds through the 300WSM. That rifle continues to work well with the 180 AB. Nothing super noteworthy just yet. It has a Nikon on it right now and I don't like it. Nothing wrong with the scope, just not exactly my perfect scope.

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

It is getting better every range session. I might drop the OAL down a little and see what it does, but right now, I am pretty happy with it. 3025 with 69.5gr RL19, WW cases, CCI250's and the 180AB. I am pretty sure I could hunt happily with that load. As the barrel is breaking in a little more every range session, I am pretty optimistic it will shoot like the other two before I am done.

Next up was the 338WM. Well, I have the BOSS on this rifle and any of you familiar with them, know it takes a little work to get the absolute best from the rifle, but it isn't hard. Just takes a little times.

Here is what it looks like from starting at 5.2

IMG_0821.jpg

Here is 5.1

IMG_0822.jpg

Then here is 5.0

IMG_0823.jpg

I went to 4.9 but it started to open back up. I went back down to 5.0 to reverify. This is what I got.

IMG_0819.jpg

Not blow me out of the water accurate. Pretty decent for the rifle though. I am running Nosler Cases, CCI250's, 250 PT and 70.5gr RL19 in the rifle. It loves RL19 alot. It does well with just about all bullets and this powder.

Anyhow, here is a picture of the mighty 338 laid down.

IMG_0815.jpg

Here is a shot of the M70's up on the rack. I just love them M70's. Wife says they may be the death of me, but'll a good death by my thinking!

IMG_0813.jpg

Cripes man, how are you going to pick one when it comes time to hunt?! :grin:

Great report!

Nice shooting buddy! As a twist to the old saying...bad day at the range is better than a good day at the office.

gerry":3rkwmloz said:
Good shooting Scotty, what kind of stock is on your 338?

It is a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Awesome stock, full aluminum block and feels just like the Sporter stock on my 264WM. Pretty big fan of them actually.

If they fit you well it would be a great choice for your Whelen build.

You should talk to Alliant powder about becoming a spokesman for them. You certainly make an excellent case for using their products.

Nice rack of rifles there. No reason to not be proud of that stable.

No Fair....No Fair......wheres the snow??????? and cold????????and wind???????

I think that breaks some kind of Man Rule......wish I was down there.

Long

longwinters":v3h1vl5d said:
No Fair....No Fair......and wind???????

Long

YES THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Scotty,

That is a fine collection of very accurate M70's.
Nice shooting!

JD338

Good report, Scotty. Some fine groups. The rifles are dialed in and the shooter has his act together. Ya' hafta love those Winchesters!

FOTIS":3p8h37dq said:
longwinters":3p8h37dq said:
No Fair....No Fair......and wind???????

Long

YES THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It was actually windy yesterday, not Wyoming windy, but gusts into the 30MPH range. Made shooting the targets on the backers a little bit of a pain. I did have to pin the heck out of my target papers, but it was worth it...

It was a great day at the range. Got a ton of brass in the tumbler and will get to loading pretty shortly.

I have to agree with you about the Model 70, they are just a fine rifle. It's hard to find a tougher factory rifle then the Classic Laminate.

Very good shooting.

I have owned all the WSM and WSSM calibers, except the .325 WSM.
I have a 8mm Remington Magnum, that I ordered new in 1979, and didn't want to have another caliber close to it.

Scotty.
Great shooting as usual from you. The Model 70's look awesome. Heck I would take that 270WSM Elk Hunting any day with that 150 Partition driving tacks. I think you need more rifles to compliment the collection! :mrgreen:

Don

DON":1tywe16l said:
Scotty.
Great shooting as usual from you. The Model 70's look awesome. Heck I would take that 270WSM Elk Hunting any day with that 150 Partition driving tacks. I think you need more rifles to compliment the collection! :mrgreen:

Don

Thanks Don. I do like that 270WSM alot. It has been a great shooter from day one. It seems to have really taken a liking to 150 PT's so I am pretty sure it won't be getting changed up for quite awhile..

Back