M788 7mm-08

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got home this afternoon and seen my scope arrived I ordered for this gun. Got a Sig Sauer 2-7x32 for it.

Mounted it up and loaded up some new cases with a load I used for a buddies M700 last yr that worked well in that gun, and is not a hot load. Factory length of 2.800 which is around .050 off the lands in this gun.

This gun looked squeaky clean and I didn't get a chance to go over it yet so just ran a couple dry patches through it after scope mounting, in case it had oil in it. Was surprised when I looked at the bore afterword's and seen a good amount of copper streaking in it. No time to clean it if I wanted to try it out today, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

After a couple of foulers and to get it somewhere close at 25 to test for group, I moved to 100 yds. Right off the bat at 100 it grouped 5 just under an inch. Don't know if this is the optimum load for this rifle, but certainly good enough to take hunting this yr.

Don't think I'm gonna let this one get away. I like how this rifle handles and feels, and I like the cartridge. Trigger could use some help, breaks clean without creep but is at 4.75 lbs, but I'll let it be for now. Getting too close to hunting season to be tearing a gun apart and messing with it when it's already working.

Well, there's nothing wrong with that! I haven't handled any of the Sig scopes, but I hear only good about them so far. I do believe that little rifle will hunt. That SST will certainly be enough for any deer you may encounter and given the right distance, it'll work for larger game.

I have to say, that is the perfect group.
I can tell you were concentrating on your breathing, and you were applying perfect squeeze control of the trigger, each and every shot.
The old gun shop I used to frequent in Cheyenne, Wyoming, the Cheyenne Trading Post, had 2 guys there that swore by the 7mm-08. The dad, Mike Sr. used a Remington M700 BDL, and his son Mike Jr., had exactly the same rifle like you own.
They loved their rifles, and took everything with them, antelope, deer, elk, and moose
I had one way back in the late 80's in .243, and it was delightfully accurate, just like yours.
That load you cobbled up will work perfectly for what you want to hunt.
Keep up the good work!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

DrMike":1uq2bawe said:
Well, there's nothing wrong with that! I haven't handled any of the Sig scopes, but I hear only good about them so far. I do believe that little rifle will hunt. That SST will certainly be enough for any deer you may encounter and given the right distance, it'll work for larger game.

Thank You. I'm very pleased but yet not surprised. Typical 788 from my experience and everybody I've ever talked to that owns one. They're not the prom queen looker at the dance, but they shoot, I'm just glad this one is following that tradition.

That load last yr I worked up for a buddy accounted for 3 whitetails, the longest just over 300 yds if I recall. None went far at all.

HAWKEYESATX":15wtla30 said:
I have to say, that is the perfect group.
I can tell you were concentrating on your breathing, and you were applying perfect squeeze control of the trigger, each and every shot.
The old gun shop I used to frequent in Cheyenne, Wyoming, the Cheyenne Trading Post, had 2 guys there that swore by the 7mm-08. The dad, Mike Sr. used a Remington M700 BDL, and his son Mike Jr., had exactly the same rifle like you own.
They loved their rifles, and took everything with them, antelope, deer, elk, and moose
I had one way back in the late 80's in .243, and it was delightfully accurate, just like yours.
That load you cobbled up will work perfectly for what you want to hunt.
Keep up the good work!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Thanks Hawk. Like the cartridge, love the rifle so far. Handy short carbine, but feels like a full sized gun when you shoulder it. Standard full size 788 stock and they used the same barrel contour as the 22" barrels so a short stiff barrel with a good overall weight balance to the rifle.

It sure is nice when things come together like that so quickly. The SST is a great match for the 7mm-08 and deer. After you use it a while it would be nice to hear your opinion on the Sig Sauer scopes. It's always good to hear from a guy that plunked down his hard earned money a product. On a side note a 2-7 power scope is such a nice match for mixed cover, 2 X has plenty of field of view at close range without seeing the barrel and at 7 X you can shoot surprisingly far. Looks nice on your compact rifle too.

Nice rifle ST. Those 788's were shooters due to the fast lock time.

JD338

gerry":3evjbpyu said:
It sure is nice when things come together like that so quickly. The SST is a great match for the 7mm-08 and deer. After you use it a while it would be nice to hear your opinion on the Sig Sauer scopes. It's always good to hear from a guy that plunked down his hard earned money a product. On a side note a 2-7 power scope is such a nice match for mixed cover, 2 X has plenty of field of view at close range without seeing the barrel and at 7 X you can shoot surprisingly far. Looks nice on your compact rifle too.

Gerry, Sig makes some pretty high dollar scopes, this is not 1 of them but I still wouldn't call it an el cheapo scope. In other word's I still think it's a good scope for the money.

This is their Whiskey 3 line of scopes. I picked this one up for $129.00. I chose the Circle Plex reticle which is like a duplex/circle combination at the center. I think I'll like it, particularly with fast moving shots in brush.

JD338":2phfpmxf said:
Nice rifle ST. Those 788's were shooters due to the fast lock time.

JD338

Yep. Fast lock time, also a single stack magazine which makes for a narrow, stiff receiver.

Locking lugs in the rear of the bolt so the receiver isn't channeled out for front locking lugs, adds to the stiffness. Narrow ejection port off the side of a solid receiver instead of the receiver being open on top. More steel, more rigid receiver. Stiff heavy barrels.

Lots of reasons all add up to the 788's having a reputation for being born shooters. I sold one in a 6mm during a cash crunch in the Obama economy and have regretted it ever since. But I believe I was able to upgrade with this rifle.

mjcmichigan":2phfpmxf said:
You got a problem. Too many guns shooting excellently!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha! That would be a good problem to have, but I'm not there yet. Too many means I should get rid of some. :(

Nice shooting. I picked up some of those bullets the other day to try in my 7mm08. Hope they group as tight as yours. Dan.

Great group. Great chambering. I have a 7-08 in a M70 Fwt and guys at deer camp always want to fondle it. Lightweight, points well, very little recoil, accurate and a killer. They all want 7-08's now.

Dan, maybe you already have a powder and load in mind to try, but if not I recommend trying this if you got some varget on hand. If not I'd try Hodgdon's data for 4064 with the 139 hornady.....runs about the same charge weights, speeds, and pressures according to Hodgdon.

This load actually shot better out of that M700 than this gun, albeit with a 12 power high dollar scope and a already worked on and much better trigger, but it was a stellar load. Tested that rifle quite a bit.......5 shot groups, 3 shot cold bore groups straight out of the truck, I had to do something stupid to make that combo shoot 3/4". Average was closer to 1/2" and under. The last test paper I have on file for that rifle shows a 3 shot cold bore group of .572 at 100. Same everything including the OAL.

Fremont, it's a dandy deer cartridge for sure and can be used on heavier stuff if need be. The mild recoil and accuracy in that M700 I worked on last yr impressed me. Been in the back of my mind ever since if I ran across something that struck my fancy, which is why I grabbed this one when I seen it.

ShadeTree":2kmrc86w said:
Dan, maybe you already have a powder and load in mind to try, but if not I recommend trying this if you got some varget on hand. If not I'd try Hodgdon's data for 4064 with the 139 hornady.....runs about the same charge weights, speeds, and pressures according to Hodgdon.

This load actually shot better out of that M700 than this gun, albeit with a 12 power high dollar scope and a already worked on and much better trigger, but it was a stellar load. Tested that rifle quite a bit.......5 shot groups, 3 shot cold bore groups straight out of the truck, I had to do something stupid to make that combo shoot 3/4". Average was closer to 1/2" and under. The last test paper I have on file for that rifle shows a 3 shot cold bore group of .572 at 100. Same everything including the OAL.

Fremont, it's a dandy deer cartridge for sure and can be used on heavier stuff if need be. The mild recoil and accuracy in that M700 I worked on last yr impressed me. Been in the back of my mind ever since if I ran across something that struck my fancy, which is why I grabbed this one when I seen it.
ShadeTree I do have some Varget and my son uses 4064 so both available. Big Game has proven itself with couple different bullets and it will be tried with the 139. Thanks for the information. I like having alternatives. Dan.

Those 788s are a great rifle. The Birch stocks refinish very well also. I used some oil based cherry stain diluted in BLO on my old one when the factory finish became unusable. Brought out a nice warm flame and scale pattern and gave the wood a very soft feel.

Only issues I ever had with mine were the bore was prone to copper fouling, especially with Sierra bullets. With others, the problem was less pronounced. Also wore out a bolt stop from repeated rapid firing with cheap surplus ammo (mine was in .308).

Back