Magnum pistol primer experiences with 45 acp

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I was in an LGS and got 1000 LPP. Owner says he only uses magnum primers in his pistol handloads…

Is anyone here using magnum pistol primers on 45 acp, I’m typically loading 800-900 FPS with 230gn ball bullets.

I’ve generally used Federal or CCI large pistol primers.

Saw a comment on midway suggesting the magnum primers may make 45 acp handloads erratic.

I’ve used Clays, titegroup, accurate #5, and maybe 700x in 45 loads… I just plink and practice. No competitive shooting.

Always found 45 acp to be well behaved in my Kimber 1911.

Might be a January project after white tail season closes…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m certainly not an expert marksman with a pistol. I have never been able to tell the difference. I would not hesitate to use them. Back off a tenth if it worries you.

I figured I’d just work it up like a new load. I am typically backing off from max loads already. Not into pushing hand guns…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been loading .45 APC for over 40 years and found that magnum pistol primers should only be used with magnum pistol cartridges and slower burning powders just like in a rifle.
They will change cartridge pressure and cause inaccuracy.
At one time Winchester had a dual purpose primer they sold that could be used in either standard or magnum cartridges but soon went back to making magnum and non magnum primers.
I still have some of the Win large rifle dual purpose primers that I use for my 35 Whelen AI since it works well with CFE223 rifle powder I use in that cartridge.
I don't think they will hurt anything but accuracy but if they were intended to be used in a standard cartridge we wouldn't have both since it would be cheaper to make one for all cartridges which Winchester found didn't work.

I used some Federal brand magnum in one of my 45 ACP when I couldn't find standard primers and it didn't cause me any problems. I wasn't loading max or plus P loads either. Dan.

upon reading the posted comments I decided it was time to open my mouth (and probably get a number of negative posts). I have no experience with large pistol magnum primers used instead of standard large pistol but I have on many occasions used small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers in my 9MM cases and also .357 and .38 cases. I've talked to a few people including a good friend who works for one of the larger bullet companies and found that this is an accepted practice for certain disciplines with a handgun. Personally I have not noted any difference in accuracy with my 9MM and actually it appeared on a number of occasions that accuracy was a slight bit better. I checked my cases very carefully after firing and everything seemed normal. I did speak with someone who is very knowledgeable in primer make up and he has actually taken primers apart. He related that the ignition charge for both the standard small rifle and the small pistol weighed the same. The material used to make up the charge was also the same. I don't think mentioning his name would be a great idea but I do personally know that he is very good in his field.

diverdown":36nkx0is said:
upon reading the posted comments I decided it was time to open my mouth (and probably get a number of negative posts). I have no experience with large pistol magnum primers used instead of standard large pistol but I have on many occasions used small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers in my 9MM cases and also .357 and .38 cases. I've talked to a few people including a good friend who works for one of the larger bullet companies and found that this is an accepted practice for certain disciplines with a handgun. Personally I have not noted any difference in accuracy with my 9MM and actually it appeared on a number of occasions that accuracy was a slight bit better. I checked my cases very carefully after firing and everything seemed normal. I did speak with someone who is very knowledgeable in primer make up and he has actually taken primers apart. He related that the ignition charge for both the standard small rifle and the small pistol weighed the same. The material used to make up the charge was also the same. I don't think mentioning his name would be a great idea but I do personally know that he is very good in his field.
I’m not sure I’ve ever loaded a small pistol primer in anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used magnum pistol primers in a 45 acp, but I do use large rifle magnum primers in my 22-250, 243, 25-06 and 280 with Hammer bullets as recommended by the owner of Hammer bullets. I have tested both magnum and standard primers in those cartridges and usually see lower standard deviation with magnum primers, but in some very little difference. I do always start over and work up with magnum primers.

I have also used small rifle primers in my 357 mag loads with no problems.

Not an issue. Back off a little bit on the charge and you're fine

I've only used Large Pistol primers in my 45 ACP.

JD338

Back