Making scope covers

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Anyone ever made their neoprene scope covers? I need a few and through about making verse buying.

Patterns and advice helpful.

Cheers

They ones (scope covers) that we used to make, back when I was a student in college and made barely enough to eat, were razor cut, cross strips of truck tire inner tubes. You can use a straight edge to trim and make them 1/2 inch wider than your scope objective lens diameter. They stretch and the loop covers both ends of the scope.

I have some elastic Leupold end caps with an thick elastic band, held by a screw fixture, joining the two ends which stretch and work the same way to cover the objective and eye piece. I only have a couple or three of sizes for Leupold Vari XII and VX III scopes (i.e. 36mm x 40mm) but if you will send me the inside diameters of both ends of your scope bells measured in millimeters, I will give you the ones that I have, if they will fit. Let me know and I can mail them to you.

Thanks for the offer.

I have flip up Leupold covers for hunting. I was wanting something primarily to prevent safe dings

Thought some 2 mm neoprene with some elastic around the bottom. Was looking for a cut out pattern

Cheers

To avoid safe dings, I use gun socks. These have the additional advantage that should there ever be a fire, there is some additional protection against rust and extensive wood damage to the rifle.

I don't have any idea how much it would cost, nor how hard they'd be to make, but it seems like a pattern is easy enough to determine. Using some brown packing paper, simply cut a piece longer than the scope and wider than it would take to wrap around the scope fully. Then start trimming until you get a piece that will "wrap" around, both parallel and perpendicular to the scope axis. Or, you could make the ends of a standard circular size (like the ScopeCoat brand does) and then just cut a barrel for the body in the correct length. It's more sewing, but not much more, to sew the ends on versus sewing elastic all around. How much is a yard or two of 2mm neoprene these days?

DrMike":zj3ccs7o said:
To avoid safe dings, I use gun socks. These have the additional advantage that should there ever be a fire, there is some additional protection against rust and extensive wood damage to the rifle.

Same here. Gun Socks can be bought on sale most of the time, around 30.00 for 8-10 of them and really have cut down on the safe beating mine we incurring. Plus, like Mike stated, they do assist with fire damage and rust.

Back