Mannlcher Schoenauer M1903 'Takedown' 6.5x54mm

Same here. Hope it all goes well. That'll be "just right" for a big old rutted up stag I'd bet.

SJB358":1bx7pygf said:
Same here. Hope it all goes well. That'll be "just right" for a big old rutted up stag I'd bet.

And wouldn't that just be a fine thing.I'd need to do better than last year when the damn stag ran & wasn't found until weeks later :roll: :oops:

My wife, daughter & partner and I shall be going up to the cottage at the end of this month, May bank holiday weekend, so hoping for a roebuck to 'christen' the rifle.
Very best wishes to you all.
ET

Ahaa, well, the trip to Scotland last weekend went well & I Christened the MSch 6.5x54....not with a 'hoped for' roebuck, although I did see three, one of which was a really good buck. So, that one got away, but I did take three wild goats. Two billys & one kid. (y)

The rifle and ammo was just fine and the bullet used was a 160gn Hornady RN
Interlock, seated to the cannelure with a roll crimp. Primer: Fed 9 1/2 & 37.1gns IMR4350
Sweet! Range just about 80-90 yds

I was happy with that, also saw two red stags, one really good one, no antlers as they cast and regrow through the summer. Four red hinds and a follower, lastly, one white fallow doe. Judging by the length of her head, she's an old girl and ready for shooting when the season on hinds/doe's opens.

Sounds as if you had a great outing, ET. Congratulations on the goats. I wasn't aware that there were feral goats in Scotland. Fascinating.

DrMike":3na3lafn said:
Sounds as if you had a great outing, ET. Congratulations on the goats. I wasn't aware that there were feral goats in Scotland. Fascinating.

Aye DrMike, we have around 250-300 feral goat on our estate. We have to shoot around 100 a year just to keep the numbers down. What we don't shoot, the logging company agent comes in and shoots.

I guess we take some 45-55 deer of 3 species annually, but this year it seems there are quite a few more deer on the land, so the cull number will have to rise some. (y)
These days though, my share of the deer numbers is very small compared to my younger fitter friends....but hey, age will eventually catch up with them too!
Cheers, ET

ElmerThud":3sjnk8jc said:
DrMike":3sjnk8jc said:
These days though, my share of the deer numbers is very small compared to my younger fitter friends....but hey, age will eventually catch up with them too!
Cheers, ET

Oh, yeah, there's a lot of that "age" going 'round.

ET, what did you think of the old Hornady? Any notes on wound channel?

Congrats on those "christening" animals.

SJB358":1jfp1lye said:
ET, what did you think of the old Hornady? Any notes on wound channel?

Congrats on those "christening" animals.

Cheers Scotty, I just love the 'wallop' from those bullet strikes. Those goats went over instantly, no mucking about running anywhere!
I can't say anything about the wound channel as the quarry weren't opened up sufficiently. Just opened enough for the eagles & peregrins. I'll let you know about wound channels when I take a deer, rather than the stinky goats.

But I'm really happy with the load progress & chuffed I got it close enough for hunting in time for our trip. (y) b

As for the 'age' thing DrMike, they'll never catch me up and I'd rather have age than a wooden overcoat eh! Lol :grin:

ElmerThud":3g1v9zyb said:
As for the 'age' thing DrMike, they'll never catch me up and I'd rather have age than a wooden overcoat eh! Lol :grin:

Bingo! :mrgreen:

Back