Picked up kind of a rare one.

Very cool :wink:, the 250-3000 is a great little deer and antelope round. My hunting partner has one in the 340C and I have a 30-30 in the 340C as well.
I have a side scope mount for mine but I have never installed because I still like to shoot my little savage with open sights.
Enjoy your great find (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Super cool. I have a major weakness for the 250. (Although mines an ackley)
I bet that 90 gr Sierra Gil mentioned would be the berries in that.

Man, wherever you live based on your finds, I need to come there and hit some gun shows with you. You have some cool finds.

Dwh7271":1vtokwwy said:
Super cool. I have a major weakness for the 250. (Although mines an ackley)
I bet that 90 gr Sierra Gil mentioned would be the berries in that.

Man, wherever you live based on your finds, I need to come there and hit some gun shows with you. You have some cool finds.

That’s what I’m saying.... I’d have to carry that one in elk camp just to get my ol buddies goat.... :mrgreen:

Way cool! There is so much character to that rifle how could you ever pass it up? Great find.

Could the lever to the left of the peep somehow lock/unlock for windage adjustment?

Mountain Goat":39uu1kg9 said:
Way cool! There is so much character to that rifle how could you ever pass it up? Great find.

Could the lever to the left of the peep somehow lock/unlock for windage adjustment?

That's what I thought. Made the most logical sense, although nothing adjustment wise was moving.

But after oiling all the movable pieces, letting it soak for a while, then studying it under a magnifying glass I figured it out. That small lever runs along a small dimpled piece of steel that's ramped or angled from front to rear. When flipped to the rear it moves that lever farther away from the peep post. Somehow internally via the bolt or sleeve that small lever is attached to that goes through the peep post base, that LOCKS the peep sight

Put the small lever up like I have in the picture and it allows you to flip down the whole peep post. Couldn't figure it out before because everything was tight except for that small lever.

The elevation adjustment which happens by turning down the knurled knob on the threaded peep post which raises the peep post, is still tight....I'll let it soak overnight.

Windage is gonna happen I guess by putting it in a padded vice and tapping it over with a rubber mallet and a small piece of wood or something that will fit against that dovetail without marking it.

I picked up a Savage 1920 in 300 Sav. Had to investigate what I had. Here's some more info on a rather interesting firearm;
During WWI, the US wasn't able to make enough of the '03 Springfields and issued a call for another maker to help them out with a different firearm. Savage's entry was what became the Model 1920 (hence the patent dates).
Alas, the guvmnt chose the Enfield rifle.
After the war, Savage realized a lot of hunters were 'switching' to bolt actions and brought out the 1920 model as their entry. It sold fairly well but with the economy slowing in the late 20's and Savage thinking of some cost-cutting (you didn't listen, did you Winchester?) as well as something 'new and improved'. They stopped production of the 1920 in '28.

Neat old gun and quite the find! Enjoy!

Bbear":1fqh59n8 said:
I picked up a Savage 1920 in 300 Sav. Had to investigate what I had. Here's some more info on a rather interesting firearm;
During WWI, the US wasn't able to make enough of the '03 Springfields and issued a call for another maker to help them out with a different firearm. Savage's entry was what became the Model 1920 (hence the patent dates).
Alas, the guvmnt chose the Enfield rifle.
After the war, Savage realized a lot of hunters were 'switching' to bolt actions and brought out the 1920 model as their entry. It sold fairly well but with the economy slowing in the late 20's and Savage thinking of some cost-cutting (you didn't listen, did you Winchester?) as well as something 'new and improved'. They stopped production of the 1920 in '28.

Neat old gun and quite the find! Enjoy!

Very cool! Did you just get it recently? Is yours the early 6lb and under gun or the later 7lb gun?

I also read where Savage was working on a military gun and got beat out by the Enfield. Supposedly there are a few 06's out there made in a long action 1920 Savage.

Back