Picked up kind of a rare one.

Very cool :wink:, the 250-3000 is a great little deer and antelope round. My hunting partner has one in the 340C and I have a 30-30 in the 340C as well.
I have a side scope mount for mine but I have never installed because I still like to shoot my little savage with open sights.
Enjoy your great find (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Super cool. I have a major weakness for the 250. (Although mines an ackley)
I bet that 90 gr Sierra Gil mentioned would be the berries in that.

Man, wherever you live based on your finds, I need to come there and hit some gun shows with you. You have some cool finds.

Dwh7271":1vtokwwy said:
Super cool. I have a major weakness for the 250. (Although mines an ackley)
I bet that 90 gr Sierra Gil mentioned would be the berries in that.

Man, wherever you live based on your finds, I need to come there and hit some gun shows with you. You have some cool finds.

That’s what I’m saying.... I’d have to carry that one in elk camp just to get my ol buddies goat.... :mrgreen:

Way cool! There is so much character to that rifle how could you ever pass it up? Great find.

Could the lever to the left of the peep somehow lock/unlock for windage adjustment?

Mountain Goat":39uu1kg9 said:
Way cool! There is so much character to that rifle how could you ever pass it up? Great find.

Could the lever to the left of the peep somehow lock/unlock for windage adjustment?

That's what I thought. Made the most logical sense, although nothing adjustment wise was moving.

But after oiling all the movable pieces, letting it soak for a while, then studying it under a magnifying glass I figured it out. That small lever runs along a small dimpled piece of steel that's ramped or angled from front to rear. When flipped to the rear it moves that lever farther away from the peep post. Somehow internally via the bolt or sleeve that small lever is attached to that goes through the peep post base, that LOCKS the peep sight

Put the small lever up like I have in the picture and it allows you to flip down the whole peep post. Couldn't figure it out before because everything was tight except for that small lever.

The elevation adjustment which happens by turning down the knurled knob on the threaded peep post which raises the peep post, is still tight....I'll let it soak overnight.

Windage is gonna happen I guess by putting it in a padded vice and tapping it over with a rubber mallet and a small piece of wood or something that will fit against that dovetail without marking it.

I picked up a Savage 1920 in 300 Sav. Had to investigate what I had. Here's some more info on a rather interesting firearm;
During WWI, the US wasn't able to make enough of the '03 Springfields and issued a call for another maker to help them out with a different firearm. Savage's entry was what became the Model 1920 (hence the patent dates).
Alas, the guvmnt chose the Enfield rifle.
After the war, Savage realized a lot of hunters were 'switching' to bolt actions and brought out the 1920 model as their entry. It sold fairly well but with the economy slowing in the late 20's and Savage thinking of some cost-cutting (you didn't listen, did you Winchester?) as well as something 'new and improved'. They stopped production of the 1920 in '28.

Neat old gun and quite the find! Enjoy!

Bbear":1fqh59n8 said:
I picked up a Savage 1920 in 300 Sav. Had to investigate what I had. Here's some more info on a rather interesting firearm;
During WWI, the US wasn't able to make enough of the '03 Springfields and issued a call for another maker to help them out with a different firearm. Savage's entry was what became the Model 1920 (hence the patent dates).
Alas, the guvmnt chose the Enfield rifle.
After the war, Savage realized a lot of hunters were 'switching' to bolt actions and brought out the 1920 model as their entry. It sold fairly well but with the economy slowing in the late 20's and Savage thinking of some cost-cutting (you didn't listen, did you Winchester?) as well as something 'new and improved'. They stopped production of the 1920 in '28.

Neat old gun and quite the find! Enjoy!

Very cool! Did you just get it recently? Is yours the early 6lb and under gun or the later 7lb gun?

I also read where Savage was working on a military gun and got beat out by the Enfield. Supposedly there are a few 06's out there made in a long action 1920 Savage.

Some of you may recognize this gun or even have one, others may have never even heard of it.

This thing is right in the wheel house of what I like. For me it's in the same company as Pop's model 71 as far as the cool factor. I'm jacked. I wanted it as soon as I seen it, and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Was obviously re-blued at some point in it's life, the bluing is too even for a gun this age, I don't care. Also had the checkering cleaned up at some point as it's too sharp and crisp for a gun this age, but again I don't care.

Savage model 1920 in 250-3000. The first bolt action light sporter weight, high powered rifle produced by an American company for the public. This one comes in just over 6 lbs. From what I can find it was produced from 1920-1928 in both 250-3000 and 300 savage, with less than 12,000 made. This one has a serial number in the low 2,000's so I'd guess it at a 1921.

The action design is a controlled feed mauser type borrowed heavily from the 98 and 03 springfield right after the first world war, but in a short action. I apologize in advance for the picture bomb, but I think it's a neat gun.

Got some dark spots in the wood here and there throughout, but that just adds to the character. This one seems legit throughout right down to the sling swivel type and design.

Precise checkering lines and fit and finish on these old hand worked guns.

Tang safety on a 1920 mauser type bolt action. Who would've thought.

Bolt peep sight with a flip down tab within the peep. Flip it down like it is here and you have a larger hunting peep to look thru, flip it closed and it's a small hole target peep. The base is dovetailed into the peep aperture.

Has a Marbles rear sight filler. I haven't figured out yet if the bolt peep is a Marbles or something supplied from savage.

Has a patent date of 1916-1919.

The front sight lug is integral to the barrel. It was milled as part of the barrel and not a separate piece.

It's worn bad from age, but it still has a visible Savage Indian on the metal butt plate.

I know this is an older thread, but I just picked one of these up this past Saturday.
A little spendier than I'd like, but it had the Lyman 54 on the bolt, is in 250 Savage, has a 4 digit serial number in the 3k's, and is in super nice condition.
The front sight seemed a little canted, so like an idiot, I took pliers to it and tore the bead off it... Now I'm on the hunt for a Marbles Sheard 16A sight blade...
I know... unobtanium... But I'm a patient man.
I do have an 1899 and a 99R in 250 and have hunted with the 99R.
I harvested 2 doe opening day a couple of seasons ago.
I found out why Larry Koller loved that round.
The hydrostatic shock made jelly out of the vitals.
No blood trail to speak of, but none neccessary.

Nice find and good luck in the woods if you haven't yet hunted with it !

Back