MARLIN 39-A

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Am I the only one who thinks these 22's are the cat's buttocks'? :grin:

I love these things!

I've always liked them, but never owned one. They are great looking and any lever action .22LR is a lot of fun to shoot.

I got one when I turned 12, I have put bricks and bricks of Winchester 40 gr cheaply ammo thru that thing. The lever and pivot bolt a pretty wore but she still looks like the day I unwrapped it some ( not good at math but) about 26 years ago or so. Lol.

I tested a beat-up old 39A that had been repaired. It was about a year ago. With Eley 10X ammunition, it shot an honest five shot group of 0.20 inches at 40 yards. The owner wanted it repaired (it wasn't feeding properly). He had no desire to rid himself of the rifle as it had been his grandfather's. The worst group it shot was about 0.75 inches with other ammunition. I believe I tested about six different types of ammunition that were lying around the shop. I was sure impressed. It was, indeed, a sweet little rifle. I wouldn't mind having one like it.

I had a 39'A for many years. Mine was not really accurate, just average and I traded it for a 9422 which was very accurate. I like older rifles and now have a reproduction Browning-Winchester Model 63 (Miroku) which is quite accurate and reliable. I am now very sorry that I sold the 9422 in a weak moment but I do like the Model 63. I also have a .22 S&W model 317 and a Savage .22 WMR.

Back in the late 70's I lived for a year in a cabin 50 odd miles from Manley Hot Springs. Thanks to my Marlin 39-M and my retriever dog, Zach, I made many a meal from spruce grouse shot out of tall trees. The rifle never failed me and has an honored place in my gun safe.

Probally one of the most accepted .22s to come along, ever. I have friends that rabbit/squirel hunt and has been said, literally shot carton after carton of ammo thru these rifle. I have one ol guy that says he has never cleaned his 39A :oops: , in 20 or 30 years ! Don't see many of them at gun-shows,

What is a fair price for a 95% one that is 6-10 years old?

Fotios,
I agree, really cool rifle.
Saw one at a gun show Sat and it was gone before I got back around. :x
Maybe next time.
BTW, you and the Dr have me polishing off my Latin textbook.
Dewey

Around here Fotis, they were going for $450-500 in good condition. That was before the current madness.

I aint a lever action fan, and Ive never been able to afford one, but if you had to pick a .22 sight unseen to keep meat in the pot or vermin off the porch, pick a 39a. Year after year they were just a great design, well made. Kinda like a Winchester model 12....IMHO CL

Fotis,

Post a picture when you get her home. :mrgreen:

JD338

On the fence about the 39A and the 572 BDL. Don't want a bolt and I have a 10/22

Yeah Scott I am leaning that way.....

FOTIS":15t1vr8n said:
On the fence about the 39A and the 572 BDL. Don't want a bolt and I have a 10/22

I had a 572; it was a very accurate rifle. I sold it so I could buy a T-Bolt as I wanted a removable magazine. I prefer the 39A of the two you list because I'd be happier with a lever gun.

The .22lr and a lever action just seem to go together like hotdogs and baseball! "go classic"

Back