Marlin XL7 7mm SAUM

trailrider121

Beginner
Mar 30, 2009
Just want to share my rifle build with you guys.

Converted a Marlin XL7 270 into a 7mm SAUM. The platform will be a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather LA stock (Thanks BlackDog1 for stock) with a PTG Aluminum bottom metal. The barrel is a light Varmint contour 24" Criterion barrel.

After fitting the action to the Winchester Model 70 B&C stock it was bedded using Devcon epoxy. Clean up the epoxy with my dremal, and made sure everything cleared. I did some some mods to my trigger, and housing but I'll keep those on the down low. Lets just say I have zero creep, and very little overtravel. Big thanks to Dangerous Dan for helping me with the bolt head . Lugs have been lapped as well. Button up the action with a PTG Aluminum black 1- piece bottom metal.

Topped off with Talley LW 30mm rings and a Vortex 5-15-44 mil/mil scope.The rifle complete with scope weighs in at 9 lbs. 14oz. Super happy with the weight outcome.

180 hybrids and Retumbo for my load. 2909 fps avg.

0115141308b_zpsa7b7658c.jpg

0115141308_zps2e3a92db.jpg

0115141309_zps767c72a9.jpg

DSCF5090_zps3cacfab6.jpg

700 yards at the range. 5mph winds.
0207140938a_zps3fefe07d.jpg

The 180 Hybrids and Retumbo still performing great for me. 10" square plate(bullseye is bottom of spray paint 2 1/2"?) at 840 yard, shot prone with bipod and rear bag. First shot missed the plate by .3 mils, kinda missed judge the wind.

Shooting through the canyon is real tricky, gets crazy winds. Wind was blowing to the left 3mph. Made adjustment and hammered the next three rounds. Love this 7saum, and now I found some Retumbo local, its time to shoot it more. Going to find a spot and hopefully get 1200 or so.

f26e4c85-8d28-4373-af15-1100c0f65eac_zps0571f450.jpg

The 7 SAUM is a fine round, and you've done what appears to be an excellent job. Congratulations. Very satisfying when things work.

The XL7 action was a drop in fit to a Win70 stock? Did it take much fitting?

I assume you used the long action with the SAUM to enable long seating of long bullets? How does it feed etc.

Nice looking setup and an interesting one too.

Thanks guys. The barrel was a Savage 7mm-08 then rechambered to 7saum. I like the Marlin action a little better than Savage.

Bobnob- Yes, Long action. Didn't want issue with the long hybrids in SA. The action screw spacing is the same; however, I did have to clearance the stock a little for recoil lug and trigger assembly. Use Devcon to fill in the rest to mold the Marlin action. If interested I have a bunch of photos I took along the way. Pm if you like.

I will be doing my 260 next. I really like the feel, and lightness of the EW stock.Fits me and my style really well.

That is an interesting build and it looks to be quite accurate, congrats.

Thanks Trailster.

You might consider posting your conversion of the stock as a standalone thread because I reckon a lot of people would be interested in it.

You've clearly thought through the project well from conception to delivery and the results speak volumes for your ability. Good stuff!

Very nice! Now that is the way to really put a rifle together! Great work. Looks super slick!

IT is a shooter too..

Back