Marmots pics added...GRAPHIC

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
My significant other and I decided to take the Jeep out and do some 4X4 today. overcast and snow flurries on the menu today.
Packed a lunch and off we go. Not ten minutes off road and a marmot runs across in front of us.
I'm thinking its a fluke, they don't come out in weather like this. Up the trail a little farther and ones laying on the rocks.
Now they got my attention, pull the Jeep over and out with the Winchester M70FW in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I go prone while my lady is on the spotting scope and calling out ranges for me.......6 shots......6 marmots.... then they got smart.
Had a great day 4X4 that turned into an unexpected shoot, glad I always have the Winchester with me.
My varmint load is 130gr Berger H-VLD/43.5gr H4350@2930 fps
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Superb report. Sounds as if the Creedmoor is dialed in. What ranges were you hitting the marmots.

DrMike":2x9wpvcw said:
Superb report. Sounds as if the Creedmoor is dialed in. What ranges were you hitting the marmots.

Mike I hope they weren't so close as to get powder burns on them! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p :grin: velvetant you know we love you!
David

Now, David, he was shooting a Winchester, so he has the capacity for accuracy to Waaaaaaaaay out there (unlike some of the armaments he might have used). :shock:

The ranges were a little on the short side for the Creedmoor.....166 yards to 472 yards
Not even stretching her legs yet

velvetant":1r9s9wja said:
The ranges were a little on the short side for the Creedmoor.....166 yards to 472 yards
That's still pretty darn good. I think you owe some to your awesome spotter, shot caller, and general marmot guide!
David

That's still pretty darn good. I think you owe some to your awesome spotter, shot caller, and general marmot guide!

Aye! Give credit where credit is due.

velvetant":3cumfkzk said:

Good shooting!

I owe a lot to my spotter, There is enough recoil with the 6.5 I cant spot my own shots.
Think I'll keep her around for awhile

velvetant":2fmsy59p said:
I owe a lot to my spotter, There is enough recoil with the 6.5 I cant spot my own shots.

I've been toying with the idea of a T3 Lite in 6.5x55 for a while now.... but this was my biggest concern. Can't see a seven pound gun not dancing a bit when the switch is pulled on a 130 at 2900+.... and I do 90% of my personal hunting alone.... and have gone to shooting a .243 at just about everything.

I do love shootin' some 'chucks.... no matter the boom-stick.

Songdog":8g9qu63u said:
velvetant":8g9qu63u said:

I've been toying with the idea of a T3 Lite in 6.5x55 for a while now.... but this was my biggest concern. Can't see a seven pound gun not dancing a bit when the switch is pulled on a 130 at 2900+.... and I do 90% of my personal hunting alone.... and have gone to shooting a .243 at just about everything.

...the Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore might fit your parameters... :mrgreen:

wildgene":19d8o672 said:
...the Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore might fit your parameters... :mrgreen:

Nothing with a Browning logo will ever suit my fancy....

velvetant":1xg6qulp said:
Think I'll keep her around for awhile

That rifle sounds like a Keeper Randy! Great shooting!

Crap.... went out today and totally missed 2 out of 3 shots
only 175 yards...I'm glad no one knows about it :( :(
Think I put them right over there heads at close range....how embarrassing :oops: :oops: :oops: .
And yes my spotter keeps letting me know I missed

Nice shooting buddy.
Even the 1/3 on the second outing is good, a .333 average is good in baseball. :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":27wppy4u said:
Nice shooting buddy.
Even the 1/3 on the second outing is good, a .333 average is good in baseball. :mrgreen:

JD338

It'll get you 100+ million....

"Oh.... and Dude.... keeping an amphibious marmot in the city limits..... that's not legal." ~Walter Sopcheck....

Supposed to stop snowing tomorrow so I loaded a few more rounds in preparation for another day of shooting.
And I'm going to get some pics of the shoot this time
IMG_0001-6.jpg

"Look at'em.... pretty little maids... all in a row. I'll take the one on the right, she's a beauty." ~Thomas Calahan, Jr.

Songdog":3889hvoo said:
velvetant":3889hvoo said:

I've been toying with the idea of a T3 Lite in 6.5x55 for a while now.... but this was my biggest concern. Can't see a seven pound gun not dancing a bit when the switch is pulled on a 130 at 2900+.... and I do 90% of my personal hunting alone.... and have gone to shooting a 6mm Remington at just about everything.

I fixed it for you! :grin: :mrgreen:
David

Back