Match Brass

NOSLER

Handloader
Sep 23, 2004
What brass is the most popular among comp shooters? Also curious to see the reasons behind why..

NOSLER":3ffwsvmw said:
What brass is the most popular among comp shooters? Also curious to see the reasons behind why..
For NRA Highpower and Long Range shooting, quality in volume is important. Why? Because you're shooting thousands of rounds per year, and you can't load when on the firing line. In no order:
  • Winchester - decent quality (uniformity is reasonable), less expensive, more case capacity.
  • Lapua - Top quality (very uniform). Expensive, and may have less case capacity.
  • Lake City (US Military arsenal). 5.56mm Brass suprisingly uniform, and has more case capacity than most commercial brass. Also harder than the competition, and resists high pressure loads better.

Federal brass has a love-hate relationship. You can get good ammo using it, but the brass is soft, and doesn't last as long before primers blow out. Part of the latter is also supposedly due to Federal primers - they're slightly larget than the product from other manufacturers, and the interference fit keeps them in the primer pocket better.

I shoot a M1A .308 in competition, its hard on brass, I love Lapuabrass but its prohibitively expensive for use in the M1A (for me), I use Lake City, unfired ,same headstamp, Its very uniform and holds up well. I usually use it for three reloads competing, then 1 or 2 more for practice ammo. Im looking foward to trying the Nosler brass in my hunting rifle, currently using Lapua there.
Morguns1Cam

Im not sure about competition, but probly vote for the 6.5-284. When I ahve the money, I will be rebarreling a Mauser 98 to this cartridge for 1000 yard target/coyote hunting. Another popular vote for the LR or accuracy crowd would be the 300 RUM. I would buy it in a heartbeat over Remington brass.

At International Benchrest Shooter competitions (IBS) Lapua seems to be the overwhelming choice. I use their cases in several calibers. Their Scenar bullets are also top notch. The beauty of Lapua cases is the uniformity in dimension and weight. This is a great example of getting something for your money. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back