Maybe it is because I am too unexperienced....

TomUSA

Beginner
Mar 15, 2006
Maybe it is because I am too unexperienced....
... but I just bought the Nosler Reloadiung Guide 5th edítion and am "struggeling" with the powder data. It may be clear to somebody who has been reloading for years that "AA #7" is referring to an "Accurate No. 7" powder - well I found out after searching the internet.
What does "2400" stand for?? Hercules 2400 or doesn't Hercules exist any more or is it even another manufacturer who decided to call a powder "2400"??
At least for me this book is making is worth insteed of better, safer and more fun to reload. I do not understand why the f... the powder manufacturer is not listed in the powder sections. Maybe there is an easy answer and I am just dumb - but every other company that I know that is issuing load data at least names the manufacturers and not only podwer types which may not be unique.

Any thoughts regarding this?

Thomas

Page 72 of the #5 Nosler has the list of all powders used in the data in this manual, it also has the abreviation used for each manufacturs powder.
All manuals reguardless of author have a similar listing, and they are a part of the manual that should be read before even looking at the data. The text in the manuals is there to explain and aid in the use of the loads listed and is important to know and understand.

Thanks for the information. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I am only reloading my handgun ammo with nosler bullets and therefore skipped the rilfe data. The powder overview - for whatever reason - is located in the rifle data section. There is no point in reading the rifle data section if you are looking for handgun data, right? I read through the handgun section and there is nothing in regards to that table to be found there.
I agree that the manual should be read, but there is no point of reading through 700+ pages if you just need a specific part of it. Payton Miller's story about the .44 mag is interesting but does not provide me any information in regards to reloading my cartridge. Same for the "We do our homework section" or the reloading safety section. These do not contacin the information I was looking for - so why read it? Unless you start reloading or you are bored, there is no real reason to read through that.

Thomas

Tom if you are a new reloader you should read through the entire manual. You can leave out the rifle load section, but there is some good info. throughout the book. You should also opick up another manual, I like Speer's, just to cross reference data.

Fred, no I am not really completely new to reloading - I've been reloading for my rilfes for 3 years now but never used different powder types because I had pretty good results with the ones that I am using. And I just recently started looking into reloading for my .44 mag.
I get all my reloading data out of the manuals - preferrably from the bullet manufacturer to make sure I have accurate / tested data and I also appreciate the fact that there are sections talking about safety, best practices etc., I even enjoy the little stories that Nosler put in the book - and maybe it is just me, but if I am looking for load data specifically for a handgun in .44 mag, I prefer to get all the information in that section of the book and not in the rifle data area...
Anyhow, that confusion is gone and besides that, I think it is a great source for a lot of good information!

Thanks again,
Tom

Back