Meopta rifle scopes

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
Any one use these scopes or have thoughts on the MeoPro 4.5-14x44T rifle scope? Been looking at one and wanted some honest thoughts or reviews on this line of scope.

Bill

DrMike":1909k0et said:
Did see a review in OL on the MeoStar this weekend, Bill.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/features/gun-and-optics-test/riflescopes

Generally, the quality of the Meopta scopes I've looked through is excellent (comparable to Zeiss). Prices have gone up recently, likely due to a growing popularity.

I'm in full agreement to what Mike says about them. As far as I know the old Zeiss line was made by Meopta for Zeiss. I don't have it written in stone but if you compare each model they are identical.

There is a lot of good deals on Meoptas and I'd pick one up in a heartbeat to be honest. I've got the Meostar 10x42 HD binos and love them to pieces. Excellent glass and their customer service was very good to me Bill.

Note in the review I cited that Cabela's Instinct Euro is the Zeiss Conquest resurrected and rebranded. It is made in the USA by Meopta. The price is pretty attractive, as well. Just a by-the-way.

DrMike":3iokiv87 said:
Note in the review I cited that Cabela's Instinct Euro is the Zeiss Conquest resurrected and rebranded. It is made in the USA by Meopta. The price is pretty attractive, as well. Just a by-the-way.

Sorry buddy didn't see that.. :oops:

Wasn't slagging you; simply observing. Meopta quality is excellent. I don't own one, but it is only because I've been able to secure some excellent prices on other scopes. Otherwise...

DrMike":ww3h9s87 said:
Wasn't slagging you; simply observing. Meopta quality is excellent. I don't own one, but it is only because I've been able to secure some excellent prices on other scopes. Otherwise...

Same here Mike. I don't own a single one of their scopes but after using their binos for awhile I'm very impressed. Rugged stuff.

SJB358 nailed it on the price vs. popularity.

Behind the Iron Curtain, thus importation was banned for decades. So, Meopta has not been well known Stateside, and had assembled Zeiss Conquest using Zeiss glass, some components in NY for years. Zeiss rep (had Pinocchioits) swore they made all of their scope, and Meopta wasn't.

Had many Meopta's back when CZ was US distributor, and they were then and still are superb optics even rivaling a few German/Austrian makers.

The Night Force spotting scope....is a Meopta. Saw MeoPro 80 preproduction, along with world's first iPhone spotting scope attachment years ago.

MeoPro outpaces Leupold VX3 in ergonomics, bit brighter/sharper, McWhorter LD reticle far superior to Boone & Crocket (still like the 3P/4 types), easily factored for other cartridges even though not explained, and for hunting a Side Target Focus is much better then an AO.

Knock down battle w/newer Conquest, but because Czech Republic smartly isn't on the Euro the price wins the match up.

Had seen the OL 'test' and not very correctly done for hunting scopes, even though I do agree w/much of their results

I own two Meopta rifle scopes and a pair of binos.

I think the scopes are competitive with my Swaro Z3 scopes.

Meopta also has a simply outstanding #4 reticle for those who like them, as well.

I have some problems with the OL article: firstly the 3-9x40 Conquest has always been 40mm, not 42 mm, idiots. That includes Conquest DL's, Z's or whatever. I have one of the first ones made which I gave to my son. I wish these magazine clowns would compare apples to apples for once?

Secondly, I would put the 3-15x42 HD5 Zeiss ahead of the Nightforce on price, performance, clarity, contrast and capability. You can buy this Zeiss for about $700, with Zeiss T* lenses. Sorry, no contest with Nightforce's $1300 SHV, not knocking Nightforce but get real? That goes for Burris, Nikon and Bushnell as well! The S3 3.5-10x42 Swaro at $880 will kick all of the these four scopes butts!!!!

The last Conquest's that were produced in 2014 are extremely capable scopes. If they are Meopta's, more power to Meopta. I have never owned a Meopta scope and can not compare fairly. I do have a 3.5-10x44 Conquest from 2014 and it is a very capable scope that cost me $495!

They also neglected Leica ER 2.5-10x42 which will kick all of these scope butts for $800, closed out from $1500. The media needs to take some truth serum occasionally.

Good question, they "test" all of the Japanese scopes and not the Leupold which outsells all of the Japanese scopes? They also did not test the Vortex or any other popular American scopes?

I just purchased the vortex HD 10x42 binos 3 weeks ago. Saved a ton over the Swarovski. I shouldn't compare them to the Swarovski, but do/did since another I met in Wyoming had a pair. I don't think I could see 3x the price differ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, SoCalHusker. I'm guessing they didn't test Leupold scopes for the same reason they didn't test Steiner or Trijicon or other good scopes. They seldom test as extensively as I would wish, choosing rather a representative sampling of scopes (or binos, or rifles, or shotguns, or...).

I believe OL attempts to test new model stuff IIRC.

I am also a fan of Meopta, owning the 10x42HD, and the S2 spotter, which is the finest spotting scope I've ever used, and I've had it side by side many times with my guide buddy's Zeiss FL T, Swaro 80HD, and Nikon 82ED. The image clarity at higher mags is astoundingly good when the atmosphere is cooperating. Not only did Meopta make the Conquest scopes for several years, they also made the Zeiss 85T FL spotters for a few. The box had "made in Czech Republic" printed right on it.

To the OP, you cannot go wrong with a Meopta rifle scope. Their CS is excellent as well, and all repairs are handled by their facility in NY, avoiding shipping optics overseas to get serviced like Zeiss and Leica often times have to do. As to ergonomics, the Leupold's are a slimmer, less bulky scope than Meopta.

Well I done bought one and it's on it's way. I bought the Meopta MEOPRO 4.5-14x44 Target Riflescope with ZPlex Reticle. Should fit well on the 264 win mag.

Back