Mid winter musings! Future build

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
As often happens here in the winter a bit of cabin fever usually sets in about this time every year. I haven’t shot a gun in nearly 2 months! It’s got to be a record, between work, family, holidays, and weather I just haven’t gotten a chance to get out there.

This is a prime time to plan future builds. This really helps me pass the time and keeps me going.

I find myself in possession of a nice manners elite MCS-T with a PTG AICS compatible bottom metal, and a vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44. This puts me halfway to a good tactical style hunting rifle.

I hunted with this stock on my 308 last year and really like the feel of this stock. The PST Gen II, I picked up with a gift certificate that saved me $250 so I couldn’t pass it up.

I’ve been trying to decide what to build with these. Flip/flopping between going custom action and barrel, finding a donor 700 and rebarreling it, going carbon fiber barrel or fluted Remington varmint contour. All different cartridges and calibers. It’s been a good way to fill the full hours I spend driving every week.

I think I’ve finally decided what direction I want to go. I can get a barreled action from northwest action works for a base price of $1245, and just under 2k after all my add ons. That’s with a Krieger barrel, helical fluted, m16 extractor, and indexed CB brake for my thunderbeast, and 20 MOA rail.

I had been thinking a 6mm short action like creedmoor or lapua, But it seemed a tad underpowered for some of what I hunt up here. The 6.5 versions not really any better in hunting distances than my 308 running 168 bergers @ 2630fps. So I looked to the 6.5 PRC and WSM cartridges. Specifically the 270 and 300 WSM. Accurate mag makes an AICS compatible WSM with internal length capacity of 2.950”.

Here in lies the big snag. I think either one would have ample power for anything I would hunt with it, ie deer, black bear, caribou, and moose. They are both very flat shooting cartridges that should excel at long range.

Pros to the 270 WSM
- I have an ass load of 277 projectiles including hundreds of 150 LRAB
- it’s 277 so cool factor is thru the roof
- it’s different than anything else I currently own or friends shoot.

Pros of the 300 WSM
- better selection of bigger bullets and factory ammo
- might be a little better suited than 277 for bigger Alaskan game
- due to better bullet development and higher BCs might actually shoot flatter and drift less at longer ranges.

Anything you guys see that I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM; both are excellent cartridges in the field. I've taken moose and elk with either cartridge, in addition to black bear, mule deer, whitetail, etc. Of course, either will work very well on caribou. I do like either of those cartridges. I used to say that I preferred the 7mm WSM to the 270 WSM, but truthfully, that is a preference and hard to distinguish between the two. The 270 has always delivered the goods for me. I'm shooting a 130 grain E-Tip at relatively modest velocities in my 270 WSM; it has always worked quite smartly on larger game.

Huge 270 fan here as well. I think if you went 8-9 twist with the WSM you'd have an ultra cool set up that would hammer all of the game you mentioned.

I don't think a fella can have enough 270's. The 300 WSM... Well, cool cartridge, but I don't see if doing much the 270 won't with the right application of bullets in it.

Years ago I stumbled onto a real nice 300 WSM, Win Model 70.

I don't shoot it often, but it always impresses. Last year it came close to being chosen for my grizzly hunt. I'd popped a 6x scope on it, and had been shooting it with 180 & 200 gr Partitions. It was a pretty doggone good choice, but I was hung up on using the 30-06 for that hunt.

The 30 caliber is such a great choice, and has been for a long time. I dunno - up to you. Both are good, I just like the 30's ability to handle the bigger bullets. Not sure that really counts for much, but I like it.

Regards, Guy

I'm looking at the same two rounds as you for the next gun and they are both great. The 270 WSM with a fast twist would be pretty sweet round, there are enough high b.c. 277 bullets out these days to make it a good option. There is the 145 gr ELD-X, 150 gr ABLR, Berger 150 gr, Matrix 165 gr, and 170 gr Berger plus probably a bunch more. Add the premium heavyweight bullets like the 160 gr Partition, 165 gr Norma Oryx and 180 gr Woodleigh and there are a lot of different possibilities.

Of course the 300 WSM is really versatile with the enormous selection of 308 bullets available.

Tough choice, how about one of each? :lol:

gerry":1qgb9e6j said:
I'm looking at the same two rounds as you for the next gun and they are both great. The 270 WSM with a fast twist would be pretty sweet round, there are enough high b.c. 277 bullets out these days to make it a good option. There is the 145 gr ELD-X, 150 gr ABLR, Berger 150 gr, Matrix 165 gr, and 170 gr Berger plus probably a bunch more. Add the premium heavyweight bullets like the 160 gr Partition, 165 gr Norma Oryx and 180 gr Woodleigh and there are a lot of different possibilities.

Of course the 300 WSM is really versatile with the enormous selection of 308 bullets available.

Tough choice, how about one of each? :lol:

I am with Gerry, PLENTY of awesome .277 bullets out there. We kinda overlook the 150 grain Interbond too, but man, if it holds up like their 154 does from my 7mm Mashburn at 3250 I'd be all over that sucker. Been hard to get for a bit, but it seems like they are coming around now.

Forgot about the 150 gr Interbond, good catch. Probably should add the 140 gr AccuBond too, it's not exactly a blunt bullet.........

gerry":3sz0o10z said:
Forgot about the 150 gr Interbond, good catch. Probably should add the 140 gr AccuBond too, it's not exactly a blunt bullet.........

Nope, agreed and the Barnes bullets aren't slouches either if you like them. I'll even add in the new Tipped Trophy Bonded Bullets in 130-140, they have a decent shape to them and I hope they shoot cause they look pretty good in my limited testing so far.

I have now begun to play with the 270wsm in the Model 70 that I picked up last year and so far it seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered as my son is a one rifle type of guy :wink:.
I was given some factory bullets which it seems to shoot quite well and I will be working with 140ABs this spring as he will likely use it on deer size animals along with farmland moose which is in abundance on the farmland that we hunt.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1tquzcz4 said:
I have now begun to play with the 270wsm in the Model 70 that I picked up last year and so far it seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered as my son is a one rifle type of guy :wink:.
I was given some factory bullets which it seems to shoot quite well and I will be working with 140ABs this spring as he will likely use it on deer size animals along with farmland moose which is in abundance on the farmland that we hunt.

Blessings,
Dan

There isn't anything that I wouldn't hunt with the 270 WSM. Great cartridge and one of the easiest I have loaded for as well. Pretty danged fast with RL26 as well.. Gives its bigger brother, the 270 Wby a decent run for its money.

SJB358":3j9ljw88 said:
sask boy":3j9ljw88 said:

Blessings,
Dan

There isn't anything that I wouldn't hunt with the 270 WSM. Great cartridge and one of the easiest I have loaded for as well. Pretty danged fast with RL26 as well.. Gives its bigger brother, the 270 Wby a decent run for its money.

I must confess that the 270WSM won me over. I was a certified 7mmWSM fan who really couldn't see that the 270WSM was even needed. I've now owned two. They were easy to work with; I produced accurate loads quickly for each of them, discovering that a 130 grain E-Tip was more than adequate to drop large moose and elk as well as any cartridge in my arsenal. I shoot mine at somewhat modest velocity, not much speedier than what one could obtain with a 270 Win. However, it works. BTW, I still like the 7WSM, I just don't carry it as much. :roll:

I have both a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm, I like them both, but find myself grabbing the 270 wsm more than any of my other rifles. Like the other have said it is a great all-a-round cartridge. I have loaded 160gr and 150gr Partition as well as 110 gr TTSX, all have shot and performed excellent. I am currently working on a load with 140gr AB over RL26 and it is looking excellent also.

AFG270":2kyfm9hg said:
I have both a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm, I like them both, but find myself grabbing the 270 wsm more than any of my other rifles. Like the other have said it is a great all-a-round cartridge. I have loaded 160gr and 150gr Partition as well as 110 gr TTSX, all have shot and performed excellent. I am currently working on a load with 140gr AB over RL26 and it is looking excellent also.

That sucker should be a monster with 140’s and 26.

Bear, if appears you have already made up your mind and everybody seems to agree with you, so I post this knowing that I am the odd man out, but wanted to let you know that I have played with the 270, 7, 300, 325 and, for me, the 7 and 325 win, hands down and therefore those are the two I still have. I like the 7 a lot but use the 325 more. Best of luck on your project regardless of which caliber you choose. Your choice of activities to occupy your mind, during the long dark days of Jan/Feb, will save you a lot of money compared to the lifelong cost of raising another child. starting next Oct, regardless of the cost of the rifle you are about to build.

Thankful Otter":19tn0836 said:
Bear, if appears you have already made up your mind and everybody seems to agree with you, so I post this knowing that I am the odd man out, but wanted to let you know that I have played with the 270, 7, 300, 325 and, for me, the 7 and 325 win, hands down and therefore those are the two I still have. I like the 7 a lot but use the 325 more. Best of luck on your project regardless of which caliber you choose. Your choice of activities to occupy your mind, during the long dark days of Jan/Feb, will save you a lot of money compared to the lifelong cost of raising another child. starting next Oct, regardless of the cost of the rifle you are about to build.
I would love to have a 7mm and 325 wsm, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 4.

Scotty, I went up to 3233 fps with the 140gr AB and RL26 with no pressure signs and good accuracy at 100yards. Now I just need to confirm it and try it at 200 and beyond.

Thankful Otter":11n35esx said:

I played around with the 325 for a while too. It is a very capable round for all around northern hunting. It is a little limited in bullets and velocity for something used for long range shooting.

The reason I was looking to 270 WSM had more to do with the large amount of 277 bullets I have at the moment. The difference between 277 and 284 is pretty negligible and the 30 has ever more availability of good projectiles. One of the great things about having so much diversity in calibers and cartridges is the large overlap, you could easily use any of the three and not notice a difference on game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back