Milsurp Rifles Still Popular

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Since retiring, I have around 200 military rifles to sell. I have been amazed at the response from people all over the USA, interested in buying these old pieces of history. The K98k Mausers with the long action still seem to create the most interest, no matter from what country. Some young men are using the Model 38 German Mauser, Turk Contract as the basis for custom hunting rifles, while others are using them for WWI re-enacting! For $99, they will take any deer type critter in the world, just as they are, using their 8x57mm chambering! Although WallyWorld will sell you a scope mounted deer rifle at a very attractive price, many people still want the feeling of pride in owning a custom rifle that is all steel, old world craftsmanship.....AND of their own design, in terms of stock and metal finish.

When I was growing up in the 1960's I didn't know anyone who had a factory built commercial bolt-action hunting rifle. Everyone shooting a bolt gun had a sporterized military rifle of one sort or another.

Grandpa had a 98 Mauser, some unknown fellow named Roy Weatherby in southern California built it into the then-new .257 Wby Mag... It was a fire breathing varmint, coyote and deer zapping machine! That rifle still looks good and shoots good, although I think the rifling must actually start about halfway down the barrel now... :roll:

Dad used a .30-06 Springfield, in a mannlicher style stock. Great little rifle! Still his favorite.

I learned on a 1917 action .30-06 that Dad built into a fine hunting rifle in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Still have that oldie but goodie in the safe. The 4x Leupold is set at 200 yards w/handloaded Nosler 180's and has been for many years. When it had iron sights, it was okay for shooting NRA matches.

Those old military rifles were a dime a dozen back in the 1940's and 1950's and it was common to customize or sporterize them. Little did we know that in original form, they'd become collector's items... Still, these three that I grew up with are great hunting rifles, everything is blued steel and walnut. Nice stuff.

Thanks for brining up the memories of these great old rifles. We used those three on everything; varmints, coyotes, deer, bear and target shooting. Good old guns.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner wrote: "Thanks for brining up the memories of these great old rifles. We used those three on everything; varmints, coyotes, deer, bear and target shooting. Good old guns. "

Guy has made a good point. Two 30-06 rifles and one .257Roberts, used on everything. Perhaps some things have been lost by today's desires by most of us to have a battery of rifles going way beyond what we have time to use. Maybe the man who only owns one good rifle is a man about whom we should beware. He can probably use that rifle!
As late as the 1960s, racks of .303cal Brit rifles were $12 at the local pawn shop. I bought a pristine US Model of 1917 and cut it down for deer hunting. The M1917 was $15. Springfield was a magical name and pricey back then. An as-new US Model 1903 Springfield was on the same rack, for the astonomical sum of $30. Egads!! That was around 1966.

I agree with you and feel the same way about the Swedish M96 in 6.5x55.
I have 3 of them, but could never bring myself to sporterize them. I've refinished the wood and metal on mine, and they look terrific once restored. In time as they become harder to come by I think their value will be up there in price. I like the M98 German mauser, but they were heavily used for the most part, some in both wars so its become harder to latch on to a good one. When you do though they're real swethearts. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

No doubt about the Swede M1896 in 6.5x55 being a great all around hunting rifle. The Swedes did not go to war, so the rifles received only garrison duty use. They only used non-corrosive ammo. Most of the M96 rifles have matching numbers and as new appearing bores. And, the cartridge has the capability to produce top notch accuracy and killing power. My father-in-law, a Norwegian, hunted everything available in the Laplands with 6.5x55. This to include Polar Bear. One commercial outfit sporterized hundreds of the M96 rifles and the prices on those pieces are rising rapidly as well.
Sadly the potential of the 8x57mm German Mauser was not recognized by American sportsmen and coupled with the fact that 8mmMauser ammo was hard to come by, thousands of WWII bring-back Mausers were chopped up and rechambered. I recently gave my nephew a Third Reich 8mmMauser that had been rebuilt by the Yugos. He gets fine accuracy from that rifle and can take pretty much any game that can be handled by a 30-06.

Hi Roy, In 1962 I purchased my first rifle for deer hunting. It was a sporterized 03 springfield (I don't know who sporterized it) The rifle was purchased from Sears for $80.00. I had the rifle drilled and tapped and put a 3-9 Redfield on it. It was responsible for a number of deer before I traded it (read mistake) for a Remington 700 7MM mag. Not that the Remington was a bad rifle. It actually was great but I should have kept the 03.

I suppose that if we live long enough we will all have stories like that one about your traded in '03. Mine was a US Model 1917 30-06 that I bought in battlefield dress in 1965 for $17 in a Baltimore pawn shop. Did the usual chopping/sporterizing and rolled a number of deer and groundhogs, before believing that I had to have the Ruger M77 in .243Win. The Ruger was a supreme groundhog rifle, but would never knock down deer like the old M1917 would do. First loves grow even better in our memories.

Back