Minox ZA5 4-20

AzDak42

Handloader
Jan 26, 2012
This will be an ongoing review of the Minox ZA5 4-20x50 as it gets more field testing.

First impressions
- Mechanically sound.. the adjustments are positive and easy to dial in
- The side focus is actually correct on the distance markings for me... Setting it at 50/100/200 put the targets into perfect focus.
- It's a bright clear piece of glass... very impressive.
- The eye relief is generous
- 1/8th MOA adjustments took a bit of getting used to

For testing, it is mounted on a CZ527 .204 using CZ's 1" rings.

The real measure of scope quality to me is mechanical reliability. I'll try and shoot a few box drills with it over the next few weeks and see how it does.

In order to do a bit of comparison, I took 3 scopes in this range to my back patio and compared them side by side looking at objects both 100 yards away and also out to 500 or so...
- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56
- Vortex 6.5-20x50
- Minox 4-20x50

- For overall ruggedness, toughness of design and just how tank like.. the NXS wins hands down.
- For optical clarity, especially side to side in the field of view, the Minox compared very favorably with the NXS with the Vortex a bit further back
- The power adjustment is sort of interesting.. I think the NXS is definitely more for field use, but I like the ease of dialing in the vortex and the angle on the markings. I can see where it's set with just a tilt of my head off the stock. The Minox is pretty typical, although it does have a rubberized coating on the ring, so it's easy to grab. I'm not sure if I'll be a fan of this in the long run. (Hopefully the rubber doesn't degrade over time or with use.)
- All three have pretty strong warranties. Nightforce and Vortex have a long reputation for quickly taking care of any problems.. Minox has a good stated warranty, but they are new enough, it's hard to say how it will work out.

It's a very promising optic. I think it's going to come in ahead of Leupold's in this price range on pure optic quality. If the mechanics / repeatability of adjustment are there, I think we have a new entrant in the sub $1000 optic category.

Would I want to carry this one out into a combat zone? No. would it be perfect on top of a varmint rifle for a high volume day of whacking vermin? I'd say we have have a top contender.

A fine review of a good product. I will definitely be interested in your comments as you gain more experience.

Nice Job! I would be interested in the tracking ability of this scope.

FOTIS":2u78elbb said:
Nice Job! I would be interested in the tracking ability of this scope.

I have a target with an 8 1/2 x 14 layout, that lets me put 4 targets in a block. It lets me shoot a box drill and see how accurately the scope adjusts.

If iI get time, I'll try and run one with all three scopes and see how they look side to side.

Great review. Thank you for the update on it. Minox builds some great scopes for the money. I am liking all of mine quite alot.

Back