Mixing Handgun Brass

nodak7mm

Handloader
Jan 19, 2008
With the advent of the past and current political environment, I starting scrounging pistol brass this summer from the range. Got lots you could say. So primarily being a rifle cartridge kinda guy reloader with anal tendencies, I have always segregated my brass by make, lots and weights.

Ok, do I really care about 9mm brass I have scrounged and want to reload for just plinking? Is internal dimensions differences all that critical when dealing with plinking pistol loads? I guess my thought is if it shoots and cycles, good fer me...

Whatta you do? Thoughts

Rod

I have both Federal and W-W brass for my 45 ACP. I use the same load and have no problems.
I have heard of some using what ever brass for their loads. I don't think you would have any issues so long as you stay away from MAX loads.

Personally, I prefer to use my own brass in my Kimber so I only pick up my own brass and hope I don't loose too much of it.

Just my thoughts.......

JD338

I mix all mine..... but i go through 3,000 plus per year of 9mm alone.... and it's way under max.

9,40, 357, and 45.... all mixed up with whatever i find in the dirt, never had any problems

I shoot mixed brass with no problems. I do use new brass for hot hunting loads but all others are mixed.

I seperate by manufacture just because. I can use the same load with different types but just feel using the same manufacture in a set of loads is one thing less to mentally doubt my accuracy. I also only shoot lead in my 44 SBH so every edge I can get helps...at least I think it does. :lol:

I have seen a slight POI change using different brass from time to time. I hate wondering if it's the brass that made the differance if I had a bad practice session or competition score. So I just seperate by Manufacture and thats it.

I mix brass for shooting plated bullets everyday. When I load jacketed bullets for a match, I always sort the brass and only use the starline nickle.

I don't worry about it much. I do seperate my 45 acp rounds when shooting the pistols and the Tommy gun. I also don't seperate my AR-15 brass.
I hate loading pistol rounds on a single stage press but, I do it.

I am a mite careless I guess. I drop everything into the case collator on my lee pro 1000 and let the sizing die figure out what has crimped primers. Those would be the ones you can barely get the primer out of.... Those go into a can off to the side and I reload slowly for a progressive loader watching the powder level in the case, then dropping a bullet in.

The only weakness of this is the odd time you'll get a 38 special case mixed with you 357 and when you're putting them into a MTM box you'll wonder why the heck there is so much bullet stickin out of that case and then :idea: you realize that it's a 38 spcl case that can only handle a third of the powder it's loaded with.
This happened to me with a bag of used .357 brass i bought. it was all tumbled nicely and sorted really well with the exception of a couple 38's in there, man would that have made a bang :shock: :shock:

JT

As long as you are not pushing the pressure envelope you're good.

Back