Model 48 Liberty/Patriot 280 AI?

wyocaddis

Beginner
May 12, 2014
Good day gentlemen, I have several questions.
1. I am looking at getting my first model 48 in 280 Ackley, is there any differences between the Liberty and the Patriot?
2. Is the magazine box long enough to seat high B.C. bullets to the lands, ie. 140 gr. Berger vld hunting bullet?
3. Is there any particular powders that show accuracy/velocity with the 140gr. class of bullets?
5. Would you buy another model 48 knowing what you know now?
6> Have any of you shot the 150 to 160 class bullet for elk, and what would you recommend.

Thanks for you time
Rick in Wyoming

Which chambering are you looking at?

FWIW- I'd buy another M48 in a heartbeat, mine has easily become my favorite hunting rifle. Mine is a WSM and I've got plenty of room in the mag box for long for caliber bullets.

hodgeman":8p971c04 said:
Which chambering are you looking at?

FWIW- I'd buy another M48 in a heartbeat, mine has easily become my favorite hunting rifle. Mine is a WSM and I've got plenty of room in the mag box for long for caliber bullets.
.280 Ackley Improved

Rick-

Member Ridgerunner665 has a Sporter in 280AI and has done some great work with it. Hopefully he'll be along shortly to answer your specific inquiry. If he doesn't notice the thread you might drop him a PM directly.

The 280AI is a great chambering and I'd use one all over the west without reservation on about anything. Among my sheep hunting friends it's become something of a go-to cartridge and it nails caribou with authority. One friend put a 160gr AB straight through a broadside moose at 250yds or so and it was time to get out the knives.

Back