Model 7

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I am trying to work up an accurate load for Remington Model 7 in 22-250 but I am not having much luck. I have been using 50 grain Nosler ballistic tips and 52 grain Sierra HPBT with a variety of powders and Lapua brass. I am not having much luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's Dad's ground-squirrel .22-250 load, from his 700 varminter:

IMG_3513.jpg

Is the barrel of your Model 7 free-floating?

critterskinner

Let us know what loads you have tried.

Here is what works for me....
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

JD338

I have tried the following combinations. None of them have shot less than 1" at 100 yards.

35 grains Varget, CCI BR 2 primers, 50 grain Nosler Baliistic Tips, once fired neck sized Hornady brass

34.9 grains RL 15, CCI BR 2primers, 52 grain Sierra BTHP, New Lapua brass neck sized

34.9 grains RL 15, CCI BR 2 primers, 52 grain Sierra HPBT, Once fired neck sized Lapua brass (shoots 1/4" groups with my model 700)

36.5 grains Varget, CCI BR 2primers, 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, once fired neck sized Lapua brass

My buddy worked up a load with a 40gr V-max and Benchmark.
1/2" shooter in his gun@4200fps with a 26" barrel.
His gun did not due very well with the various 50gr-55gr bullets

check out my thread titled " outstanding range results". Every load I tried was a shooter. But the IMR 4320 was top powder with 52 gr sierra HPBT.

Almost seems like if your rifle won't group well with those bullets and Varget-RL15 you might have something in the rifle holding it up. Those combos you listEd are usually pretty excellent in most 22-250's. Heck give the 40gr'ers a try maybe it is just looking for a different weight range. Scotty

1. How does it handle factory ammo?

2. Tried any bullets with a flat base instead of a boat tail?

3. I like the idea of trying a lighter bullet.

What stock is on your Model 7 ?

I have a Rem 700 Varminter in 22-250 that is like my Amex card - don't leave home without it.

Remington / Winchester brass - CCI BR primers and 55gr B-kings or B-tips shoot the same for me.View attachment P1010210.JPG

Sako 75 laminated SS
Nosler 50gr ballistic tip
IMR 4350 39.5gr
hornady Cases
Wolf Large rifle primer

maybe from un mod7 needs a fast side powder.

Got the Model 7 bedded and floated and a trigger job dont(2 lbs). Shot a load of 50 grain NBT over 37 grains of H380 in Lapua brass. With a result of 3 shot .39" group at 100 yards. This is after playing with OAL. Before bedding this combo was over 1" at same OAL.

critterskinner

Way to go. Glad to hear you have a shooter.

JD338

Good show, critterskinner. It does indeed sound as if you have a shooter.

Man, it is hard to beat some pillars and a little glass to really fix up the rifles that are shooting marginally. Everyone I have done has really turned a corner pretty quick. Scotty

beretzs":wz3ntp5y said:
Man, it is hard to beat some pillars and a little glass to really fix up the rifles that are shooting marginally. Everyone I have done has really turned a corner pretty quick. Scotty

Yup, my M673 did exactly that. I shot a quick 3 shot group with it last night at 300 yds that went MOA.

JD338

Nice! I imagine the little 6.5 is ready to rock Jim. Looking forward to seeing some hunts with it this year. It has really came into itself since the bedding job. Scotty

Back