Model 70 Bedding Mistake

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
Well I screwed around a bunch with my 300 wby in 70 classic trying to get it to shoot! After the normal recoil lug routine plus bedding the tang it still shot terrible so I pillar bedded, that also sucked! Finally, out of desperation, I fully glassed the barrel and it shot great. After all this I found the new laminated stock split in four places behind the screw area behind the tang. I had opened up the holes for the action screws to make sure they wouldn't bind the stock so that wasn't the issue. I had bedded the tang area fully around the screw hole and this is the problem, you need clearance behind the metal at this area so it won't act as another recoil lug! If all is perfect and the action doesn't grow or shrink with temperature, all is well. Evidently mine was hitting at times at this tang area instead of the recoil lug! When it hits this area, the action and barrel would be jumping around and that makes the accuracy suffer!

Sorry to hear of the cracks and problems but at least you now know where the problem areas are!!! Hope you get it fixed right up soon!

Tough luck, but a 300 wby mag hits hard. Go with a Bell & Carlson medalist stock and don't look back. It has a full length bedding block in it and can handle the recoil. I"m having great luck with the one that I just bought. :grin: :grin:

Back