Model 70 regret

7mmJoe

Beginner
Dec 7, 2013
Shortly after I returned from a deployment I purchased, for myself, a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm08. I'm originally from Ohio so I grew up hunting with a 12 gauge since rifle hunting is prohibited (though I realize it has recently changed to permit rifle hunting with handgun calibers now). I was more excited about this rifle than any purchase I made in the last five years to include my Jeep.

Contrary to to reported accuracy with the Model 70s from the New Haven plant, I experienced abysmal accuracy from my 2011 model made at the FN plant in Columbia, SC. To define abysmal I mean 2.25''+ groups at 100 yards regardless of ammunition. I called Trijicon first, thinking that it had to be my Accupoint malfunctioning over the rifle. They sent it back stating it was within factory specs and I tried it on my AR15 which confirmed their assessment, it was dead on. Several months went by and a few more boxes of ammo and I was still getting horrible results. My love for this rifle kept me from sending it in right away. I tried everything I could think of before I sent it back.

Eventually I called Winchester, explained my issue and they were glad to take a look at it. I sent it back, and it was returned a few weeks later with a target showing a 3 shot .75" group at 50 yards with Federal vital-shok 140 grain rounds. Nothing was done to the rifle and no other assessments were made. When they sent it back I called again and asked what the issue had been as I did not see a synopsis of work or detailed assessment. I provided to them all of my targets marked with ammo, date and atmospherics when I sent my rifle in to hopefully display an issue documented over a period of almost a year with 4-5 separate range visits and various ammo used. The representative told me they "shot the rifle and everything was fine." I asked about the marketing from Winchester's website stating 1 MOA can be expected when using factory Winchester ammunition. The representative told me depending upon the year and caliber, the model 70 rifles have different accepted standards of accuracy.

My 2011 Model 70 in 7mm08 has a standard of 1.5" at 100 yards according to the Rep I spoke to, and the proof test they sent does not include using Winchester ammo and only firing from 50 yards and assuming linear variation at 100 yards. I cannot reproduce a 1.5" group with the Federal Vital-Shok ammo. Winchester wasn't able to tell me what they even looked at, simply provided my rifle and a 50 yard target. I'm certain with the lack of agreement that there is an issue between Winchester and myself that they will not refund me my money.

I'm looking to sell this rifle, recoup what losses I can and purchase either a Savage 14 .308, or a Nosler M48 .308. I cannot express how frustrated I am with my Model 70 and, in my opinion, unhelpful Winchester had been. I always appreciate the advice of the members here on both recourse and recommendation.

All three of my recent Winchesters have been sub MOA but it took some work to get there.
Instead of a new rifle I'd be looking at a reloading kit if you don't already handload. My 25-06 shoots flat based mid weight bullets well, 87 and 100 grain, but anything else is a crapshoot.
The .300 Win Mag showed a preference for 180gr flat based bullets too, if I recall correctly, as I don't have my notes handy. The .338 shoots well with the Barnes 210 grain TSX BT.
Try some different bullets first. Start reloading second, if you aren't already.
As for 0.75" at 50 Yards, I tend to get rid of rifles that won't do 0.75" at 200 Yards but I wring them out first to try and find a bullet the rifle likes.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yea I don't have the ability of knowledge to get into reloading. I'd be getting into it just to sort this issue out, which I don't really like.

My son's 7-08 was pretty finicky....140gr. Winchester Power Points were abysmal. 140gr Fusion shoots about 2"- hardly stellar but good enough to drop a caribou bull.

When I switched to 120gr ammunition the story changed- much better results and it hovers right at 1MOA. I'd try some different weights and brands before you move it down the road. Once you get it shooting- the 7-08 is a sweet rifle!

Not sure if it's typical of the 7-08...but it is the most finicky rifle I currently have.

During my 50+ years of hunting and shooting, I have owned about (28) Winchesters dating from 1936 to 2006 manufacturing dates. Only two of these rifles would not meet Winchester's standard of 1.5 groups at 100 yrds. One was a USRAC, .338 WM with a barrel that was mounted about 1/2 degree off plumb. The other was a .30-06 that even after bedding the lugs and finally floating the barrel would still not shoot a 5-shot group smaller than about 3 inches.

Nearly all of the remaining rifles would shoot close to MOA at 200 yards.

Joe,

I'm surely sorry to hear of your disappointment. I have shot quite a number of Winchesters, and I own quite a few produced in SC. All, save a 7X57 produced in the old New Haven plant, shoot very well. Any company can make a stinker at times, and you may be the lucky person who has such a disappointment. Were you on this side of the border, I'd offer to work with your rifle to see if I couldn't make it work for you. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. If you really like the rifle (other than the lack of accuracy), you may wish to have a good gunsmith look at it to see if it can be made to shoot acceptably without a lot of cost. One of the most common flaws on factory rifles is a problem with the crown. It is easy to true the crown; and accuracy improvement can be pretty dramatic at times. I've seen rifles that were shooting three inch patterns suddenly shooting sub-MOA. Pull the stock and inspect it for a crack and verify that the action screws are properly torqued. The factory does not bat a thousand on tightening these screws to spec. Note as well that the hot glue Winchester insists on using as bedding is reprehensible. I immediately glass bed almost all my rifles, even when they turn in decent accuracy. I often will pillar bed them while I have the action out of the stock. Also, it has been my observation that Federal is making some of the most accurate ammunition on the market today. It is difficult at times for me to improve on velocity/accuracy with hand loads.

Just a final word, thanks for your service. You deserve to treat yourself to a fine rifle. I do like Winchesters and I do own quite a few. They have served me well; I trust you will sort through the issues you are facing shortly.

Joe, I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your Winny. If you wanted to keep it you could make it a shooter, but it would no doubt come with more cost and time.

If I were going to keep it I would:
1. Call Lee Christianson, a superb Model 70 gunsmith up in Wisconsin and talk options with him. His number is (715) 684-2587. Lee has worked on a couple of M70s for me, and his work is prompt, very good, and quite reasonable.
2. Consider a fire lapping kit, especially if you are willing to replace the barrel.
3. Consider a new barrel. FYI for military Pac Nor gives a 10% discount. But all the manufacturers that make barrels for a living make a good barrel. Pac Nor will install, or Lee will install.
4. Let Lee complete everything else, like bedding/trigger adjust, etc.

If you are going to sell it, I wouldn't invest any more money or time into it!

The quandary is if I send it to another gunsmith and shell out several hundred dollars there is no guarantee the accuracy will be fixed, or if it is fixed that I can shoot one type of ammo or will need to handload to reproduce results. Lastly if you all were in a similar position, and assuming a gunsmith could reign in the accuracy, would you ever really trust the rifle in a hunting situation?

I have no answers at this point only more questions. I'm looking at savage and nosler because, to me, I'd like the rifle to be manufactured in the US. I like the Weatherby mark V's but I'm not really a magnum guy. Thanks again for all the input, I may just call the guy in Wisconsin. The part that bothers me about selling it, aside from my emotional attachment, is that I'm essentially screwing some one else with a rifle that has issues and that's not really the right answer either.

7mmJoe":tmg9uhld said:
. Lastly if you all were in a similar position, and assuming a gunsmith could reign in the accuracy, would you ever really trust the rifle in a hunting situation?.

Assuming the smith could get the accuracy to the point you could repeat it on the range...then yes. A-hunting we would go.

In fact- even at 2-3 MOA....yeah, I'd hunt with that under most circumstances and have hunted with rifles that wouldn't shoot that good. Bear in mind- 2 MOA was a truly exceptional rifle not all that long ago.

I'm pretty sure that with a little experimentation and some tweaking you can get something to shoot at least decently.

7mmJoe,

If you put it for sale here in the forum, and are honest about the accuracy, I can't help but think some gun powder sniffing ' ballistic coefficient snortin' handloader would have trouble scratching up some green to take it off your hands.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Joe,

I've bought a few rifles that I knew were stinkers because I wanted the action to work with. Don't assume that someone is being taken to the cleaners just because they buy the rifle. Also, since I do handload, I have often been able to get a rifle shooting acceptably with a bit of work. You are correct that there are no guarantees when a gunsmith works on a rifle. However, reputable gunsmiths are prepared to stand behind their work. Both Savage and Nosler make a quality product. By that same criterion, other rifles manufactured in the USA can turn in some very exciting accuracy.

7mmJoe":1l0ita4p said:
Lastly if you all were in a similar position, and assuming a gunsmith could reign in the accuracy, would you ever really trust the rifle in a hunting situation?

The answer to this honest question is, "Yes." And it is an unqualified "Yes." I have been in that situation when a rifle simply could be made to shoot acceptably. The steps I stated earlier were sufficient in most instances to make the rifle shoot to my arbitrary standard. Pillar bedding and skim bedding, recrowning and checking the actions screws can work wonders on a problem rifle.

Joe I took a 300 Weatherby S1 Vanguard that I had won at a gun raffle and turned it from a sow's ear into a silk purse. The rifle came with the cheap black factory plastic stock and would shoot the factory standard which I wasn't happy with. Actually I wasn't happy with the way the rifle looked and was extremely disappointed that Weatherby would sell something like that with their name on it. I was glad it had only cost me a $35 raffle ticket.
The stock was junk so it had to be replaced, it would flex each time you fired the rifle and popped the front sling stud out of the stock with a Harris bi-pod attached to it. So the stock was the first thing to go. I replaced it with a Bell&Carlson Medalist after research and figured it was the easiest way to go and get the best of both worlds with a synthetic stock and a full bedding block. The groups shrunk to 1 MOA at 100yds so it went from 1.5" to 1.0". The trigger was also junk in my book so I looked to replace that also, a new Timney was ordered and installed. The groups shrunk some more. I also worked on the new stock a little, removed the barrel pressure point and got the groups smaller yet. it now shoots .5 MOA and would take it out with confidence that what ever got in the cross hairs of my scope was mine if I wanted it.
Yes I didn't have a lot in it to begin with but for a little patients and determination you might have a silk purse hiding there. And one last thing I do reload which is easier than you think if just read a few good books on the subject you could turn out ammo better than you can buy for a lot less once you get set up.

Gunbroker is your friend unless you want to re-barrel.... Life is too short.

Another thing you could do, more economically than rebarrelling, is to have the barrel re-bored by JES.

It won't be a 7-08 when he's done, but it will have a good bore, a good crown, and good set of rifling. For about $225....a .338FED is easily made out of one and is a nifty cartridge in its own right.

Several friends have had JES turn poor shooters into good performers and gone up a bore size or two in the process.

I would suspect that having a competent (key word) gunsmith at least evaluate the rifle and put a borescope in it wouldn't cost much more than a box of the premium ammo you've been shooting. I think I would start there.

DrMike":12rh2ihg said:
Joe,

I've bought a few rifles that I knew were stinkers because I wanted the action to work with. Don't assume that someone is being taken to the cleaners just because they buy the rifle. Also, since I do handload, I have often been able to get a rifle shooting acceptably with a bit of work. You are correct that there are no guarantees when a gunsmith works on a rifle. However, reputable gunsmiths are prepared to stand behind their work. Both Savage and Nosler make a quality product. By that same criterion, other rifles manufactured in the USA can turn in some very exciting accuracy.

7mmJoe":12rh2ihg said:
Lastly if you all were in a similar position, and assuming a gunsmith could reign in the accuracy, would you ever really trust the rifle in a hunting situation?

The answer to this honest question is, "Yes." And it is an unqualified "Yes." I have been in that situation when a rifle simply could be made to shoot acceptably. The steps I stated earlier were sufficient in most instances to make the rifle shoot to my arbitrary standard. Pillar bedding and skim bedding, recrowning and checking the actions screws can work wonders on a problem rifle.

I'm with Mike. Sounds like there is something that could be remedied with very little work. If it's shooting 3/4" at 50 there is hope.

Dr. Vette":3kaz6d97 said:
I would suspect that having a competent (key word) gunsmith at least evaluate the rifle and put a borescope in it wouldn't cost much more than a box of the premium ammo you've been shooting. I think I would start there.
This...Lee

Check ALL the screws on the gun and scope mounts. Degrease them and re-install, then tighten per specification.
Check the crown for obvious damage.
Check the bore for obvious flaws or severe fouling
Check the trigger pull weight (if it's heavy or has too much overtravel, it could affect groups).
Check the bedding.
Check the shooter (have someone else shoot the gun).
Try a different bullet weight.

George

I was thinking of buying a new "Browning" Winchester Model 70
Featherweight in .264 win mag would I too be disappointed, anyone have
any experience with these new manufacture guns? Skid.

I own three of these rifles and two builds on actions produced in SC. All shoot very well and put a smile on my face whenever I handle them. I may yet pick up a .264 Win Mag produced by the factory.

Back