Model 99 Savage in .300 Savage

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Stopped at my local gunshop and saw a 99 savage in .300 savage sitting on the shelf. The rifle is in very good condition and the wheels started turning. Never had one, always wanted one and need some expert advice. First, was a 99 ever drilled and tapped for scope mounts? This particular rifle is wearing tip-off mounts with a junk scope, both of which I would discard and replace. The stock is wearing a steel buttplate. He's asking $600.00 Fair price?

Is it an older 99 with a lever safety or later model with tang safety? Rotary magazine or detachable magazine? Brass counter or aluminum? Walnut or hardwood stock and forend? Any idea what variation of 99 it is? eg. Featherweight, longer barrel version with schnabel forend? $600 sounds a little on the high end unless the rifle is real minty, but then again, they don't make these rifles anymore. See if you can consult a Blue Book to look up the year of manufacture and approximate value and go from there. A lot of 99's were drilled and tapped. Steel buttplates were the norm, usually with the Savage logo stamped on.

Good luck BRM. I just got my grandpas 300 Savage back in hand. I need to look up the serial but its a longer barrel, lever safety and a steel butt plate with decent wood. Blueing is pretty rough but other than that it looks decent.

Back