most physically demanding hunt

Elk hunting out of a backpack has been the most demanding so far. Usually it is everything together. Hunting and packing meat out in combo makes for a tough hunt some years. I haven't found the easy elk yet.

Am hoping for that mythical "easy elk" in a few weeks here Scotty... We will see...

Guy Miner":1rnwi9ko said:
Am hoping for that mythical "easy elk" in a few weeks here Scotty... We will see...

Good luck Guy... Bill and a few others have told me about loading a WHOLE elk into a pickup truck... That sounds about like a unicorn story to me :lol:

(y) Well, it's a good idea, but I don't even have a pickup. Better bring a saw I suppose... :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":2mknqocz said:
(y) Well, it's a good idea, but I don't even have a pickup. Better bring a saw I suppose... :mrgreen:

Ha! That's how I roll.. although for a cow you won't need a saw.. I've got it down well enough to get all meat/hide off with a Havalon blade or maybe two... that lightens the load a little in my ruck.

Only need a saw for those stinky bulls if you want those danged antlers :lol:

SJB358":3ced7wnk said:
Guy Miner":3ced7wnk said:

Ha! That's how I roll.. although for a cow you won't need a saw.. I've got it down well enough to get all meat/hide off with a Havalon blade or maybe two... that lightens the load a little in my ruck.

Only need a saw for those stinky bulls if you want those danged antlers :lol:

Or to convert the Jeep into a convertible. :shock:

Or to convert the Jeep into a convertible. :shock:

Naw, the top comes off easily enough... :grin:

Victor - I'm remiss in not mentioning that bruiser of a mule deer buck in your photo! Wow! :shock:

A few years ago, chasing mountain mulies here in Washington, my son and I were chuckling, because we were up high after the bucks, and looking DOWN on mountain goats well below us! Good grief. No, we didn't get a buck that hunt, but man, what a hunt!

Guy

The elk area I hunt in Wyoming is the toughest I've been on. The country is steep and the elk are in the middle of the big canyons, far from access from the top or bottom. The top is usually snowed in by the late season when I hunt so the bottom is the only access. The country got tougher after a burn came through prior to my last hunt, lots of down timber with jagged limbs sticking up to crawl around in. Even hiring horses to help pack out elk is tougher, lots of saw work to do to get them where you need to go. My buddies last bull was the toughest pack-out, it was in a box canyon and we had to go up the canyon, across, and up and down many fingers before we could finally hit a horse trail.

Not like a sheep hunt, but no picnic. I hope to draw again this year, got my application sent off last month.

Some of your guys hunts have left me a realization of how soft and easy in comparison many of my hunts have been.
Maybe not the most difficult hunt , but a memorable one for me was a jet boat moose hunt on the Athabasca river.
You have to pack just the essentials cause after we got a moose and deboned there was not much freeboard. A week on the river was awesome. A witnessed my Dad making an absolute insane shot on a timberwolf on that hunt, moving boat choppy water and a running wolf.
I long to go back there one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds awesome. My dad was never much of a hunter of anything but quail, and our quail population dropped to a level where you feel bad about shooting one about the time I started high school. Never had many hunts with him after that.

Back