Mountain rifle ideas

Squeeze, you Ruger would be a nice Saddle gun. Especially with those 180's at 3000 fps. I hazard to think what you could do with an extra 10" of barrel, but after 35+ years of reloading, I'm sure you've learned a few tricks.

The reason you can't find those shorty Rugers in WSM any more, might have something to do with the new Ruger RCM line of rifles. RCM stands for Ruger Compact Magnums. They come with a short action, 20" barrel, and in the .300 flavor advertise a 180gr sst at 2900 fps.

Since your .375 has a straighter case, you will probably do just fine with the 20" barrel. A thick heavy brass, such as nosler will help with the short barrel, but judging from your earlier results, you probably already know that.

P.S. The next time you are in Denver, the beer is on me.

Antelope_Sniper":m0cs2xc3 said:
Squeeze, you Ruger would be a nice Saddle gun. Especially with those 180's at 3000 fps. I hazard to think what you could do with an extra 10" of barrel, but after 35+ years of reloading, I'm sure you've learned a few tricks.

The reason you can't find those shorty Rugers in WSM any more, might have something to do with the new Ruger RCM line of rifles. RCM stands for Ruger Compact Magnums. They come with a short action, 20" barrel, and in the .300 flavor advertise a 180gr sst at 2900 fps.

Since your .375 has a straighter case, you will probably do just fine with the 20" barrel. A thick heavy brass, such as nosler will help with the short barrel, but judging from your earlier results, you probably already know that.

P.S. The next time you are in Denver, the beer is on me.
.............................You`re on!!! Likewise when you`re in Anaheim, Cal.............From what I understand via the Ruger home office, Ruger discontinued the 300 & 325 WSM`s in the Frontiers because the developers or partners involved with the WSM developement, wanted some extra royalties, which in turn translated into some major bucks coming out of Ruger. Ruger said; **** that!

Whether or not the RCM`s had anything to do with the WSM discontinuations, I don`t know.

Those 20" RCM`s Rugers are sweethearts. But my little 300 WSM will do anything they will do or overlap, so I won`t be trading for a 300 or 338 RCM!

An extra 10" of barrel??..........But then again, I wouldn`t have an ideal saddle gun, which would be handier, quicker to shoulder, more manuverable, lighter, and more effective in thicker brush country!! If I can`t do it at 2994 fps., I sure won`t be able to do much better at say 3100 or 3200 fps. with an extra 10" of barrel length.

BTW! Some of my reloading ideas came from the "reloaders nest" site! Someone submitted a 300 WSM load using a 200 gr. A/B behind 68 gr. of Rel #19, with a 24" barrel. His velocity listed was 2930 fps. I was able to work up to a 69 gr. max. with a velocity of 2828 fps. 2900 fps. is listed using 68 gr. Rel 19 with a 200 gr. Sierra Spitz. B.T. in the Sierra manual.............Another was a 180 gr. SST from a 24" tube listing 3205 fps., if I remember correctly. That load gave me the average of 2994 fps...........Some of the 150`s listed at over 3300 fps. from 24" tubes. I got 3155 fps.........Can`t find any Rel #17!!! Dammit!

You said mounton not bean field there two different designs. The bean field is for longrange and weight is not a factor and its actualy need for holding steady off a bi-pods or bench type rest.

But for a light weight Mnt rifle barrels no longer than 22" and the 06 and 08 case based cartridges realy shine here. Light weight scopes like the leupold 2-7x28mm are tops.

For me it would be either a 270win or (308/7mm08/260)with the 2-7x28 scope. Take a Kimber 84m and that scope and call it finished.

Were is the fun in that!! I looked at a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM and it was $1100-$1200. For that amount of money (or close to it) I can get a more accurate, lighter cusom rifle built on an action that I already own.

Do have to admit though I just bought my little lady a remington Mtn in a 7-08 with a 22" tube, and I'm impressed. It shoots good, kicks little, and is really nice to pack. It is currenly the lightest gun in my safe and the reason for sarting this project for my own light mountain gun.

jmad_81":1f131dvg said:
Were is the fun in that!! I looked at a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM and it was $1100-$1200. For that amount of money (or close to it) I can get a more accurate, lighter cusom rifle built on an action that I already own.

Do have to admit though I just bought my little lady a remington Mtn in a 7-08 with a 22" tube, and I'm impressed. It shoots good, kicks little, and is really nice to pack. It is currenly the lightest gun in my safe and the reason for sarting this project for my own light mountain gun.

Mountain rifle??? What is one??? From the early 1900 to this present day there have been a whole lot of different kinds of rifles carried into the mountains and today the variety is even greater than in the past. I think a good mountain rifle is: 1. What ever rifle and cartridge you want to carry in the mountains. 2. One that you can shoot well and have confidence in. 3. Barrel length and weight or a matter of choice. 4. What ever you can carry without it hurting your hunting for an extended or short period of time. Example: On my 12 day hunts out west each year in Arizona, I have carried a custom 7mm08 20" barrel, a Kimber 8400 Montana in 06, a Savage 7mmSTW 26" barrel, a Ruger # 1 300Wby mag, a custom Sako Lilja 24" barreled 06, a Mark V custom 300Wby 26" barrel, and this last time I carried a 416Wby Deluxe. Now none of those rifle made me tired or caused me to wish I had brought a shorter lighter rifle and I lost 8 pounds in 12 days just to let you know we get with it out there. Now I will turn 60 in Nov and I am going back this year with my .375Wby Mag and will love every minute of it. One thing for sure after a hard hump up a few ridges to cut off a bear and I have only a moment for the shot before he is gone I have found the heavier rifles to steady me much quicker for the shot if I did not have time for a rest. I think a good mountain rifle is a matter of the hunters choice. You have a favorite rifle that you really like and it shoots real good take it and don't be sucked into the idea that you have got to have a specialize rifle for a specific hunt. Now don't misunderstand me, I think a specialized rifle is a great thing if you can afford one but don't for a moment think you can't get it done with what you have and have a ball doing it. Here is a picture of me holding my 416Wby Deluxe I took last year and this was after a whole day of getting after those awesome beautiful mountains.

IMG_6029-4.jpg

Jmad- Did you free float the 7-08 or leave the stock alone? My dad had the same rifle and it shot great as it left the factory. Just wondering, I really liked that little mountain rifle.

YoteSmoker":3p8erexv said:
Jmad- Did you free float the 7-08 or leave the stock alone? My dad had the same rifle and it shot great as it left the factory. Just wondering, I really liked that little mountain rifle.

It was a custom rifle built off a Sako reciever with a McMillan stock and a Douglas barrel and yes it was free floated. It really shot well as most factory or custom rifles do in 7mm08.

Thanks bullet, but i was referring to this post Jmad made:

"Do have to admit though I just bought my little lady a remington Mtn in a 7-08 with a 22" tube, and I'm impressed. It shoots good, kicks little, and is really nice to pack. It is currenly the lightest gun in my safe and the reason for sarting this project for my own light mountain gun."

Sorry, I did not pay close attention to your post. I think a 22" 7mm08 is a sweet shooting rifle and certainly that little 7mm08 cartridge is bigger than it looks when one sees the game it has taken.

bullet":25hmwra1 said:
jmad_81":25hmwra1 said:

Mountain rifle??? What is one??? From the early 1900 to this present day there have been a whole lot of different kinds of rifles carried into the mountains and today the variety is even greater than in the past. I think a good mountain rifle is: 1. What ever rifle and cartridge you want to carry in the mountains. 2. One that you can shoot well and have confidence in. 3. Barrel length and weight or a matter of choice. 4. What ever you can carry without it hurting your hunting for an extended or short period of time. Example: On my 12 day hunts out west each year in Arizona, I have carried a custom 7mm08 20" barrel, a Kimber 8400 Montana in 06, a Savage 7mmSTW 26" barrel, a Ruger # 1 300Wby mag, a custom Sako Lilja 24" barreled 06, a Mark V custom 300Wby 26" barrel, and this last time I carried a 416Wby Deluxe. Now none of those rifle made me tired or caused me to wish I had brought a shorter lighter rifle and I lost 8 pounds in 12 days just to let you know we get with it out there. Now I will turn 60 in Nov and I am going back this year with my .375Wby Mag and will love every minute of it. One thing for sure after a hard hump up a few ridges to cut off a bear and I have only a moment for the shot before he is gone I have found the heavier rifles to steady me much quicker for the shot if I did not have time for a rest. I think a good mountain rifle is a matter of the hunters choice. You have a favorite rifle that you really like and it shoots real good take it and don't be sucked into the idea that you have got to have a specialize rifle for a specific hunt. Now don't misunderstand me, I think a specialized rifle is a great thing if you can afford one but don't for a moment think you can't get it done with what you have and have a ball doing it. Here is a picture of me holding my 416Wby Deluxe I took last year and this was after a whole day of getting after those awesome beautiful mountains.

IMG_6029-4.jpg
........................Bullet!.........Lookin good there!!! Like John Wayne`s little bro!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .........You`re too small for HOSS!!! :lol: .......................You`re right though! A mountain rifle is whatever rifle and caliber the hunter chooses to take into the mountains! I guess though that the term "mountain rifle" in the marketing, shooting world lingo, means or is classified as lighter and/or flatter shooting. That same rifle can also be a "plains" rifle and is excellent for long range flat terrain hunting. Anybody can classify their rifle as a brush gun, plains gun or a mountain gun, or all three at the same time, WHICH I really like!...............BTW! Your birthday is in Nov? What day? Mine happens to be on the 25th!!!

Bullet!.................Lookin good there! Kinda like John Wayne`s little bro??? :lol: :lol: :lol: .....You`re too small for HOSS!!! :lol: .....BTW! Your birthday is in Nov? What day? Mine falls on the 25th!............Your right though! Any hunter can classify his rifle as a mountain rifle, if he chooses to take it into the mountains. Or it becomes a brush gun when in the brush. And it becomes a plains rifle when on the plains. Some and many rifles can be classified, as adaptable to all three!............PS! No elelphants or grizzies running around between the trees there???!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OOOPS!................Bullet!.........OOOPS! I didn`t think that my 1st post went through, so I did another without your photo!!

Big Squeeze":2s1p07dl said:
.........Bullet!.........Lookin good there!!! Like John Wayne`s little bro!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .........You`re too small for HOSS!!! :lol: .......................You`re right though! A mountain rifle is whatever rifle and caliber the hunter chooses to take into the mountains! I guess though that the term "mountain rifle" in the marketing, shooting world lingo, means or is classified as lighter and/or flatter shooting. That same rifle can also be a "plains" rifle and is excellent for long range flat terrain hunting. Anybody can classify their rifle as a brush gun, plains gun or a mountain gun, or all three at the same time, WHICH I really like!...............BTW! Your birthday is in Nov? What day? Mine happens to be on the 25th!!!

November the 30th :) Your right there are no elephants grizzlies but what ever I shoot with the .416Wby dies real quick. :grin:

bullet":3k8f29ht said:
Big Squeeze":3k8f29ht said:
.........Bullet!.........Lookin good there!!! Like John Wayne`s little bro!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .........You`re too small for HOSS!!! :lol: .......................You`re right though! A mountain rifle is whatever rifle and caliber the hunter chooses to take into the mountains! I guess though that the term "mountain rifle" in the marketing, shooting world lingo, means or is classified as lighter and/or flatter shooting. That same rifle can also be a "plains" rifle and is excellent for long range flat terrain hunting. Anybody can classify their rifle as a brush gun, plains gun or a mountain gun, or all three at the same time, WHICH I really like!...............BTW! Your birthday is in Nov? What day? Mine happens to be on the 25th!!!

November the 30th :) Your right there are no elephants grizzlies but what ever I shoot with the .416Wby dies real quick. :grin:
..........................Our birthdays are 5 days apart then!! A fellow Sag! We be good people!

The first day I took it out it shot ALL OVER. So I cleaned out a bunch of stuff from around and under the barrel and left the factory preasure point at the forend. Also brought the trigger down alot, it was really bad. I'm going to bed it before to long just to eliminate a bunch of potential problems with future load development.

Maybe I titled this post wrong, maybe it should of just said "light custom 270 WSM"!!! I agree with bullet as well, any of my rifles are classified by what ever type of country I am using them in!!

You had the right title "Mountain Rifle Ideas" and you are surely getting a lot of ideas from all of us and that makes it interesting. I think your 270WSM will really do the job and you will get it shooting. When you do, all you have to do now is shoot some game in the mountains which I sure hope you get the opportunity to do.

Back