Mounting a scope

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Hey guys - this is not an original idea, but one that I took from another web site that has proven very effective in making sure the scope is mounted correctly on your rifle if you are using a picatinney rail.
I have been using feeler guages between the rail and bottom of the turret of the scope to ensure a flush fit from side to side. This has helped to make sure the scope is not canted and eliminates the need to buy the level rings and other do-dads that some companies are selling for mounting scopes. Works for me, and might help someone else that is struggling to get proper alignment.

It works buddy. Just tried it.. Way cheaper and easier than all of the levels. Mounted it using the feeler, then checked it with the levels I have and it was spot on!

Joel,

Sounds interesting. Can you post some pictures for intellectually challenged guys like me.

JD338

This works best for a rail (picatinney) type mount vs. the old Redfield/Leupold type of base.
A feeler gauge is a seris of various thicknesses that is used by mechanics for gapping spark plugs. I'm sure there are other uses, but that is what I have used them for.

Pull out the thicknesses of gauges that will get you close to the gap between the bottom of the elevation/windage adjustment part in the middle of the scope and the top of the rail. Play with the thickness gauges until you find the combination that is a tight fit in this gap. Once you have a tight fit, the reticle will be as close to aligned with the bore as you can get with any bubble level or other method. While you have the feeler gauge under the turret section of the scope, tighten the scope rings to the recommended torque to ensure a perfectly aligned scope.

I will try and post a picture of what I do tomorrow.

Thanks Joel.
I do not use rails so I was trying to firgure out how it might work with Leupold mounts.
Doesn't sound like it will.

JD338

Nightforce, suggets this method in there owners manual. just remember to pull the gauges out carefully as soon as you feel the extra pressure on them.

Back