Mounting scope in line with bore?

I think that if one does the 20 MOA square tracking test, that would tell you all that you need to know about scope and barrel alignment?

Oldtrader3":1ilohebv said:
I think that if one does the 20 MOA square tracking test, that would tell you all that you need to know about scope and barrel alignment?

Charlie , I think what you're calling the square tracking test , is what I call a box test . it will show how well the scope can be adjusted , in all directions , and return to zero . this test will show the scope moving out of sync with the turrets . this will prove how accurate your scope moves in relationship to the amount of clicks ( adjustment ) you've made.
I'd say that yes it will show scope alignment . now that I think about it , these two tests could be done at the same time . if the first spot is shot at say the lower left (the aiming point ) , then the second shot made with only an elevation adjustment of lets say 20 moa . that second shot should hit exactly straight above the first shot by 20 moa . so if the target already had a true plumb line ,the first shot would be on the lower end of this plumb line ( the aiming point ) , and the second shot should hit on that same plumb line only 20 moa above shot number one . I've never done these tests at the same time , I never thought of it .
here is one of my scope alignment targets . my first shot is under the masking tape . my third shot is the one showing . this is my aiming point .

this is the upper of the same target . my second shot was off , looks to be about 3/4 inch . I rotated the scope a little . then made the third shot that is on the above target .330" off the line ( masking tape ) . then I dialed my elevation up . my forth shot was .380 off the line . so I said good enough , .050 could have been me , or anything . I then moved the scope one click left for a good sight in .

Yup, it will at least give you an indication of degrees and/or minutes off plumb. So, you have the option of rotating the scope or averaging the shift?

I like to rotate the scope to get as close as I can . I don't want to be adding X amount of windage for every so much of elevation change . I remember years ago I had a rifle that when I sighted it in I'd have to add a few clicks windage for every so many clicks elevation . I just thought that's the way the scope was . since learning of this scope alignment I'd say the scope needed rotated a little .

Yeah, Jim, that is what it needs. Just rotate the scope a few minutes of angle and you should be GTG.

Back