Moving

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
I’m not sure where to put this but I know quite a few folks here have spent a lot of time in Alaska and since it’s not just travel or hunting related I thought I’d put it here.

I’m considering taking a job in Alaska and was wondering if anyone had and tips, tricks, advice they care to share about daily living in the great white north.

Thank you all in advance.

Vince

Depends an awful lot on where you are going. An awful lot of Alaska is off the road system, very isolated and expensive to go to town. I don’t mind some isolation, I drive 20 miles to get to the nearest store, or service of any kind, but the last 20 years I was based in one of the villages for the summer while guiding fishing, not enough money to keep me there year round. Not much horse country up there, some up the valley, On the road system you at least have affordable options. Very few days you wouldn’t be able to travel, you could even drive south for the winter. The interior is simply cold in the winter, I preferred that when I lived up there. The maritime areas are miserable. Freezing fog for weeks at a time, then it warms up, rains on top of old snow, then it goes to 20 below then it warms up and rains mixed with snow. Shivering just thinking about it.
Location location location. Anchorage and up the valley even up to Fairbanks wouldn’t’ be bad, or even south east where you have access to the ferry system wouldn’t be bad…..

Depends an awful lot on where you are going. An awful lot of Alaska is off the road system, very isolated and expensive to go to town. I don’t mind some isolation, I drive 20 miles to get to the nearest store, or service of any kind, but the last 20 years I was based in one of the villages for the summer while guiding fishing, not enough money to keep me there year round. Not much horse country up there, some up the valley, On the road system you at least have affordable options. Very few days you wouldn’t be able to travel, you could even drive south for the winter. The interior is simply cold in the winter, I preferred that when I lived up there. The maritime areas are miserable. Freezing fog for weeks at a time, then it warms up, rains on top of old snow, then it goes to 20 below then it warms up and rains mixed with snow. Shivering just thinking about it.
Location location location. Anchorage and up the valley even up to Fairbanks wouldn’t’ be bad, or even south east where you have access to the ferry system wouldn’t be bad…..
I’m guessing the “valley” is around Anchorage?
Was thinking of basing in Anchorage but taking short term assignments, no more than three months at a time, in various non populated areas.

Really appreciate the insight.

Vince

Lot of folks do that. I also know people who had a choice and moved out to the villages and love it there, it’s hard if you can’t afford to get out. Having your own plane can make a big difference. Do you fly?

Lot of folks do that. I also know people who had a choice and moved out to the villages and love it there, it’s hard if you can’t afford to get out. Having your own plane can make a big difference. Do you fly?
As little as possible.
I’ve flown a lot but try to avoid it these days. I understand small planes are like a car up there.

During my tenure in Alaska most of my friends were flying before they could drive. You probably have figured it out but if you’re going anywhere in Alaska you’ll be flying.

Was texting with a friend after looking at possibly getting a 375 Ruger Guide Gun but he didn’t seem to think I needed it.

My worry is that my 338 Win Mag has a 26” barrel plus a brake so it’s about 28” long. That and not being able to locate much 338 Win Mag ammo on Gunbroker has me thinking I might need another rifle. I’m locating a fair bit of 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. The Ruger, with it’s 20” barrel really appeals to me.

Once I get up there who knows? Maybe I’ll find a lot of 338 Win Mag up there. Any thoughts on this? I’ll also be taking my Marlin 45-70.

Vince

I believe if anyone thinks they need a new rifle, they do! The 375 Ruger is surprisingly accurate, Vince. It does pack a wallop on game. However, I sure wouldn't consider myself under gunned with a 338 Win Mag, and ammo will be available. You could always load up 200 rounds or so. That should last you for a week or two.

I believe if anyone thinks they need a new rifle, they do! The 375 Ruger is surprisingly accurate, Vince. It does pack a wallop on game. However, I sure wouldn't consider myself under gunned with a 338 Win Mag, and ammo will be available. You could always load up 200 rounds or so. That should last you for a week or two.
I’m not set up to load, and won’t be, anytime soon.

I know a number of guides who love the 338; I always felt good carrying my 45/70. I also did carry my 338 and my 375HH. If I was buying a guide gun I would take the Ruger in either 375 or 416. You would find much more 338 or 375 Ammo in Alaska I would guess

Really like my 375 Ruger (mine is a Savage), but it eats a lot of powder to load; don't know how that compares to the 338, as I have no loading experience with one.

Was given some advice tonight by a guy that has crawled through the alders after wounded bear and even given some locations to hunt once I get up there.

Looking like I’ll just keep my .338 as my one rifle for all North America. I truly believe it’s a great cartridge and it’s even more versatile than the 30-06. With the quality of factory ammunition these days I may never load another round of rifle ammunition and I’m OK with that.

Vince

Back