Mule Deer Hunt

PALongbow

Beginner
Jul 22, 2009
Guys I'm looking for a quality mule deer hunt in Colorodo, Wyoming or Montana. I'm looking for a hunt that is quality but doesn't break the bank....maybe quality and doesn't break the bank applies any longer. Does anyone have any recommendations on outfitters? If you don't want to post here just send me an private message or email.

Thanks,
Ron

If you're looking to hunt deer this year in Colorado, there is hardly anything available on the left over list. If you plan for next year, as long as you apply for the drawing before April, you should have a good chance.

Ron,

Check out Rich LaRocco's hunts.net website. Once uopn a time I worked for him selling hunts, and he is a good guy with some excellent outfitters.

jim

Seriously consider a do-it-yourself hunt on public land.

It takes a little more work, but it's your land - you can hunt it for the price of a non-resident tag and the cost of getting there. I've done it before, and I'm doing it again this year. Here's a couple of shots from previous hunts in Wyoming:

elk01.jpg

Wyobuck03.jpg

Just a thought. Might save you a few grand.

Regards, Guy

One of these days, I'm going to have to talk to you, Guy, about how exactly you got those two. Very nice! And on public land, no less. I'd like to imitate that.

I tried the 'do it yourself' hunt and what I thought was good land to hunt it turned out to be very crowded. Congratulations on getting those animals on public land. I agree it takes research and hard hunting but can be done.

Ron

Actually the bottom photo, the mule deer, was taken on private land, where I'd received permission to hunt.

There were however plenty of deer in the local public land areas, and not overcrowded with hunters. I was a hurtin' puppy two years ago, barely recovered from surgery and NEEDED an easy hunt, so I was very blessed to get an invite for a private land hunt.

The elk was taken miles and miles from the road and resulted in two days of packing him out - fortunately we had horses avail for the packing chores.

As said - it can be done - but it does take some planning. Here in Washington I often hunt public land and have taken mule deer pretty consistently, but I have the advantage of living in decent muley country and being able to scout it year-round.

*Highly recommend the book "Public Land Mulies" by David Long. It's avail through Eastman's.

Regards, Guy

Guy- those are impressive! Always like seeing them. look forward to this years!! Good luck!! CL

PA

You are very correct about a lot of over-crowding in areas. Deer & Elk season here in CO co-inside together so you have double the chances of people.
I assume you're looking for rifle season and not archery / black powder?

I've never hunted the plains of CO due to most of it is Private land, but I know there are some monster mulies out there. Second sugestion would be an area that is high elevation short of issues of weather that could potentially turn your hunt into a sight seeing adventure rather than a hunt.

The Divison of Wildlife has stats posted for the areas from previous years that is fairly helpful. Works best to print them off in my opinion so have a good supply of paper ready to go.
It'll tell you how many licenses are available per unit, number of applicants and the success rate for that area.

Powerstroke -

I archery hunt alot here in PA. I did a 'do it yourself' bow hunt and have also been out with guides in Colorado. The guided hunts were more enjoyable because of the game that was seen versus seeing other hunters all day long. If you have any suggestions on where to hunt please let me know either PM or mail...not asking for your secret spots.

Thanks,
Ron

Back