Multiple loading

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
7x57 brass has been loaded 6 times. I don’t feel anything on the inside of the case to indicate any potential head separation.
I don’t load this rifle hot.
After the 5th load I neck sized for the sixth loading.
Worth annealing, load again or toss in the rejects pile.
ca102dca261881aebf33105c65d0fb29.jpg

b792eaec02a00157bb0cde1c17de05cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are not seeing a ring or feeling one above the webbing on the inside and have not had to trim the OAL a lot or have loose primer pockets you should be OK and I would still use it.

FOTIS":22bgh9tj said:
Check the web with a bent paper clip

Agree with FOTIS, if it passes the paperclip test, and the primer pockets are still tight enough to hold a primer, then Id keep loading until you get a crack in the neck, shoulder, or the primer pockets loosen up. YMMV.

I agree, and do use a sharpened paper clip, but also a cheap flexible stalk LED light. Makes great shadows from starting cracks. Lately, although I consider it overkill, I've inspected some with a Teslong borescope. That is a whole new world, displaying patterns in the burn chamber and the brass inside. All webs and primer pockets and flashholes are not created equal. EE2

Attachments

• WIN_20200928_06_08_47_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200928_06_08_47_Pro.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 349
that brass should be fine .

I partially full length size every time . I have my die set up to bump the shoulder back about .002" . trim every time . run near max , or over max charges . I get a lot more loads than 6 . here is a pic of brass that is worn out . some have separated , others are ready to separate . it will give you a look at what to watch for . you can remove the separated case from the chamber by using a big cleaning brush shoved in after removing the bolt . the tool I made to feel for a bad case . I never feel a sharp edge , I feel a hollowed out area . you can feel your tool dip in , and back out , as you pull the tool up the inside case wall . this brass had I think 15 cycles on it .

P4300543.JPG

P4090516.JPG

P4300541.JPG

Along with the old paper clip method, I also agree with Elkeater2 and Jimbires.

The visible thin light colored ring that shows up on the outside is a straight up clue, but watching for that alone is not as reliable.

Using a small LED light like Elkeater2 mentioned works very well for quick checks and to keep an eye on cases that are getting some higher reload numbers on them. The smoked up carbon residue inside the case shows up as a definitive contrasting ring on the thinned area ahead of the web.

Other than a few uncommon cases like a 348 Win, like Jimbires I go way over 6. Depending on the cartridge and chamber, 12-16, all the way up to 18 or so is more common. Also in agreement with Jimbires, the paper clip method often doesn't catch, instead it feels like it's passing through a dip in the road. How deep that dip is, and how bad the thinning shows up with the LED light is when I determine it's time to retire them.

I have some 300 SAUM cases I have been using for over 15 yrs. 10 loadings and still no ring or no loose primer pockets. I have annealed 2 or 3 times.

If the primer pockets are still tight enough for use I would anneal the necks of that brass. 7x57 brass can sometimes be difficult to find. Make the most of it while it lasts.
Paul B.

I will anneal these and keep going with them. Primer pockets were tight on the last loading and I didn’t find anything on the inside that gave any concern.
Luckily I found a couple hundred new brass so will put them to work when they get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back