My 500 Magnum blew up!!!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well not really but here is the story.

A couple of buddies and I went shooting in Colorado. The following video is the first shot of the day out of my 500 Smith. The round was Factory magtech 400 Grain SP. As you can see the gun is healthy prior to the shot. After the shot you will notice a bulge in the barrel! Closer examination revealed a bulge in both sides of the barrel and a crack (of the finish) down the barrel on both sides. If you look closely you will see a heavy amount of gases exiting the muzzle and the gun at full recoil which proves (in my mind) that this was a full power load and the bullet exited.

Now, S&W has the gun for repair and they just sent it down to their lab. Initially I was told that I had probably fired a squib load, bullet got stuck in the barrel and then a full pressure one caused the bulge. That is the only thing that could have happened ( the rep said). I told him that I cleaned the gun and that was the first shot of the day...... If their investigation proved this I would have to fess up $350 FOR A NEW BARREL!

I do not know how it will turn out but I did get lucky getting this on video. Not that I think that would help!

Well, I'll be darned.

I don't shoot my .500 often, but it's fun. Please keep us posted...

I am shafted. Talked to them today. They said either way it was an ammo issue which is not covered under their warranty.

$357.00

:evil:

That sucks Pop.
And I'm sure Magtech will say its the gun. :shock:

JD338

JD338":eezop9yi said:
That sucks Pop.
And I'm sure Magtech will say its the gun. :shock:

JD338

You know it!!!! :x

I am so disappointed in S&W!
Too bad they are not more like Leupold! :cry: :cry:

You are so right Pop. Leupold Customer Service is world Class!

JD338

Man, that is a raw deal Pop. You'd think maybe both companies would put in 1/2 and get you a new barrel. But I suppose they, not only are cheap, but get complaints etc... from people who are not telling the whole truth.

Tell them there are a lot of guys here on Nosler that will vouch for your integrity. Put me 1st on the list.

Long

Back