My elk hunt is on TV this week.

Congrats on the elk!! 7 years ago I lived in a small town called Farmville Virginia. Now Im in 5 feet of snow and about as far north in Idaho as I can be without being in Canada. :shock:

Yeah, once elk get a hold on you, it is hard to get them out of your head! I went to Idaho the first time in 2003 and now I am planning my next trip before I leave Idaho on the current hunt! Scotty

Very nice and what an adventure, truly happy for you man and I hope there are many other times for you.

Again, thank you all for the kind words and feedback. I realize a lot of folks prefer DIY hunts but I've never been out west and I'm just a regular working stiff. I can't afford to go scout and try my luck at the draw. It was a hunt on private land but the elk are free ranging.

In fact, the large herd we went after in the snow actually moved off the ranch that night and that is why we had to go after the smaller herd that was still on the property. The ranch is about 27,000 acres. I met the son f the ranch owner and he was super nice. In fact, he was out cutting "elk gaps" (lowering the top barb wires) in the fencing around the alfalfa fields so they could get in and out.

The show will air again this Wed night on the Pursuit Channel. The other two hunters in camp that week were Stu Utgaard, owner of Sportsman's Warehouse, and his wife, Kim. Both were very friendly and they both took nice 6x6 bulls as well. I hate what happened with Sportsman's but hopefully the new majority owner can turn it around.

Now it is time to start playing with my new .338 WM. :)

Hey Bullet - my parents actually live in Starkville. My dad and I both are State grads and they retired there about 7 years ago.

Scott

Back