My next project is in progress!

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
After playing with 3 different rifles in 338 Federal, and deciding that I want something more in a left handed bolt action than I am finding the Tikka T3 is providing, I sold my Ruger Hawkeye All Weather and have the Tikka up for sale. I was originally planning on a lh Cooper Classic with New Zealand walnut and open sights. But I just haven't been that enamoured by the Cooper action so far. Beautiful rifles to be sure! I just think that what I really want is in another direction.

Finally found a Sako Finnlight II LH in 308 Win at a decent enough sale price. Should have it here soon. And today I have verified that the factory stock will accept a Proof Research Sendero Light contour carbon fibre barrel with some minor modification to the barrel channel. (If this would have turned out to not be an option, I was going to go with a stainless fluted Benchmark barrel.) The barrel will be 22" long, with a clean muzzle (no threaded cap or muzzle brake) with target crown, and 1:10 twist. Hope to find a great load with the 200 gr AB at approx. 2600 fps. With just over 2000 ft-lbs of energy at 200 yards, it will handle big game up to and including bison at that range! And approx. 1500 ft-lbs of energy out to 400 yards. Should be a heckuva moose rifle!

Already have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 B&C gray scope and Optilock rings for it.

Have to admit that I have been desiring a lh bolt action rifle with a carbon fibre barrel for a while now...but Christenson Arms went Titanium this year instead of offering their left hand Ridgeline rifle in the 6.5 PRC.

Love the smoothness of the Sako actions, and the 5 round steel magazines in the Model 85.
Will see how I like the Finnlight II synthetic stock with the adjustable cheekpiece after I get it built and out shooting and hunting. At the end of the day, I may just order a lh sa Hunter stock so that I have a nice wood stock for it, and use the synthetic stock for wet weather or rough mountain hunts to keep the wooden stock in nicer condition. Both would get glass and pillar bedded so that there is no shift in poi when switching stocks (as I did with my 280 Rem).

Sounds like a nice project. have you seen the prices of sako stocks. My model 75 the stock cracked . I could only find 1 new 1 at Midwest gunworks and the wanted $995 for it. Finally found a take off on ebay that I got for $150. Start watching ebay for 1.

Gil,
Sounds like a well thought out build. It's definitely going to be a power house!
What do you anticipate the rifle weight will be? Also, any timing on when you think you will have it completed?

JD338

The Sako Finnlight II weighs about 5 3/4 lbs, in its current 308 Win with a 20" barrel configuration, so with rings and scope should finish right about 7 lbs give or take an ounce or two. They say the carbon fibre barrel is supposed to be about 60% lighter than a similar contoured barrel of the same length. To be honest I am not absolutely sure what the finished weight will be, once the barrel swap takes place. My one concern will be the balance once finished.
This build isn't really about building an ultralight rifle, and at 7 lbs really isn't, but going with something new and different, and my trying a rifle with a carbon fibre barrel for the first time.
Should make for a nice stalking rifle!

With our dollar taking such a down turn in the past month (over 15%), it may be a few months before I order the Proof barrel, hoping for our dollar to come back and save some dollars. It has come back about 5% so far...so here's hoping!
Hope to have it ready before hunting season this year.

A wood stock for it will be down the road a bit, so that I can wring it out and get experience with it in the field. Good suggestion looking for a take-off stock. They do exist, but in the left hand sa configuration, don't come along everyday. Thanks for the e-bay tip.

Sounds like an interesting build Gil, be neat how it all turns out for you when it's finished.

Thanks Gerry!

You'll have to come up for a visit this fall and try it out.
Bring your 7MM and we'll see about a moose or an elk!

Would sure be nice. Will have to see how the year shapes up but it would be a lot of fun. Any idea what your timeline looks like for completing the build?

Sounds nice. Never owned a Sako, but only because I never ran across one at the right price point, but there's a reason for that. They're a Sako. Nice stuff costs money.

Will be waiting for pictures!

Back