N560 & 220 Part

grizz007

Beginner
Oct 3, 2005
Quickload gives me 71.8 grns. @ 2789fps @64992psi at the muzzle as max. for the M.A.P(65000psi). in this caliber(.30-338). Primer I'm thinkin is an assumption--use stand. large rifle? Anyone here ever use this powder? This combination looks like a winner for my hunting in AK.

Well those pressure are what is noted after I have received reloading suggestions from some and plugged em in. I will stick to the designed pressures of this caliber which is 61,989psi with 71.3 of N560 and a NP 220grainer which with a COL of 3.387" and bulet seating depth of .443" and a 22" bbl. gives me velocitiy of 2,751fps and a 61943psi reading- something I will work up to. Because this powder was considered High Energy it threw me some as to what primers should be used as well as this round is belted too.
If there is any .30-338 fans here in this forum please do not hesitate to share with me on your pet loads. Seems like a very good .30 caliber.

I have owned a 30-338 built on a M70 Action for many years. It has a 24" tube and is a sporter profile. I really like the chambering, and believe it is a better balanced round than is the 300 Win or the 300 Weatherby. I have never loaded the 220 Partition in mine, but shoot both the 180 and 200 Partition. My pet loads with both weights have been developed using Norma MRP. I load 74 grains of MRP behind the 180 for 3135 FPS [Instrumental at 15 feet], and 72 grains of MRP behind the 200 for 2990 FPS. I form all my brass from Winchester 7mm Mag brass, and this stuff does not loosen primer pockets even after 6-8 loadings. I have taken Moose, Elk, Black Bear and a host of big muleys with this rifle, It is accurate and kills well. What's not to like? Regards, Eagleye.

Eagleye, I am anxious to use mine. As yet I have to get it to a fella down in S.D.-Stuart Satterlee. Some metal work needs to be addressed on this Belgium FN 98 - bought it at a gun show. In any case, data for this was really difficult in gathering and did not know who to trust in regards to reloading data. So had my wife pick me up the Quickload software program for a Xmas gift. Pretty doggone handy-taken me a while and some hours plugging a bunch a numbers and comparing some notes from other shooters who have great joy in this caliber.
what is your COL? I'd like to see pressure readings as listed. If your bulletmeasure at 3.40" for example with a 24"bbl. and your powder charge,so noted with that bullet gives
56,736psi (caliber listed for a 61,989psi)
3,012fps
3,626ft lb
100.6% case fill
99.52% propellant burn
now we cannot figure in what primers or how they change either pressure and/or velocity but this software should get pretty close. I would like if you do not mind to get that bit of information of COL from you and see if it will get within 20fp of your chronoed readings of that 180grain Partition.
Bear with me as your load thus far is about the only accurate readings I have gathered so far. The rest according to pressure readings for this caliber were about 50-100psi more than the wthby if not a bit more-scary.
thanks
Tim

Note: when the given COL is taken into account it changes velocities and pressure and case capacities. Like I mentioned a very nifty program.

Back