need advice

Banshee

Beginner
Dec 31, 2007
My son bought 150 rounds of Magtec 308 from Cabelas and saved the brass for me to reload. I noticed when resizing that this stuff was hard/stiff.

Tonight I started to load them with 155 gr Custom Comp with H414. There is a major difference in internal volume between this CBC headstamp and Winchester headstamp. 49 gr of H414 in a win case is just into the shoulder while 49 gr in the CBC case is into the neck.

I compared weight. 191 gr for the CBC and 163 gr for the winchester (both already primed)

The book minimum is 48 gr and max is 51 gr. My normal load is 49 gr in the winchester case. Is this going to be safe in this much smaller case.

Banshee

I would drop down a couple grains and work up.
Even 1-2 rounds just to proof pressures is all you need. This will give you a quick ramp up to where you want to be.

JD338

Start at the lowest point. The mag tech weighs more because of the thicker walls; hence less capacious.

Banshee,food for thought. I'm loading my son's .308 Rem. rifle with IMR 4895 powder at 46.5 grains and Hornady 150 gr. sp with 2800 fps. He likes the way it shoots better than the factory stuff at 200 yds. I'm using Remington brass for this load and it fills the case. Hope you have good luck with the H414 powder.

Noslers Rock!

Unfortunately, the son/rifle is 700 miles from here so I don't have access to his specific rifle.

Fortunately, these are rounds for playing, shooting pumpkins, etc with his AR. I will go to the minimum and stay there until I get a chance at Thanksgiving to test it.

This is my first run in with cases of significantly different volumes. Much larger difference than I expected!

Winchester is the thinnest brass, hence it produces lower pressure. Always drop back when switching from Winchester to a different brass.