Need help with elk and antelope load and bullet for 7MM Rem

ealbrecht

Beginner
Jan 5, 2006
I am looking for suggestions on what is a good load and bullet for 7MM REM MAG for elk and antelope. I will be hunting in WY with shots out to 400yrds. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

ealbrecht,

I would suggest either a 150 or 160 AccuBond. I currently use 160 Partitions for elk and 150 Ballistic Tips for deer. I thnk I am going to go with the 150 grain AccuBond for everything. Remember that a 150 grain .284 projectile has almost the identical sectional density as a 180 grain .308 projectile. In short, the 150 grain .284 projectile matches up very well against the 180 grain .308 projectile!

With a 7MM Rem Mag it is hard to go wrong with any bullet!

Good huntin',

Tom

Killed an elk and an antelope this year and last with 160gr accubonds. None of the shots were particularly long (all within 275yds). But, I am confident out to the end of my abilities. Flawless bullet performance. Loaded them in front of IMR4350 last year to max listed in the Nosler manual. Shot them out of a 7mmSTW this year pushed to 3,200fps with RL25. My experience is that you get Partition terminal performance with ballistic tip trajectory.

Good luck!

jd

In your 7mm Rem Mag, the 160 gr AccuBond will cover all your hunting needs to well past 400 yds.

Regards,

JD338

Whenever you are hunting for two different animals like you are doing, you should prepare for the larger animal. You have received great advice with the 160 grain AccuBond. I had TERRIFIC results with them on a large cow elk at 378 yards from my 7mm Mag. I load mine in Remington brass with H1000 powder and CCI250 primers. WOW this rifle shoots that load terrific.

I don't think that Nosler has a 150 AccuBond yet. If so I am unaware of it. Right now you are looking at 140 and 160 grain Accubonds and 140, 150, 160 and 175 Partitions.

If you are shooting for elk and antelope, don't use a Ballistic tip, stay with a Partition or AccuBond. I would also recommend you stay 150 grains or higher due to the elk being on the menu.

Good luck!

Firehawk

Firehawk,

Were you using a 7MM Rem Mag? If so, can you give me the specifics of your load? Also, what brand is your rifle?

I have a Sako 7MM Rem Mag. I want to develop one load so I will no longer have to re-sight it in for each load. I want to develop one load for generic big game hunting. I do not think it would be wise to go below 150 grains in bullet weight. 160 would probably be ideal.

Y'know, everytime I revisit the 7MM Rem Mag, the more I am convinced it is the single best cartridge for all North American big game hunting. More than the cartridge, it is the caliber that works so well. .284 seems to be perfect, especially when examined in terms of sectional density.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom 1911;

As always, I worked up to this load in MY rifle. I would not recommend that you just go there as it is a max load. I am loading 70 grains of H1000 powder with Rem brass, CCI 250 primers and a 160 grain AccuBond. In my old Hodgdon Manual, I am well within acceptable load data, but the newer manuals suggest that this is TOO hot. Hasn't been in my rifle but I would definitely approach it carefully.

I shoot a Winchester Model 70 push feed in 7mm Rem Mag that I stocked with a Boyd's Laminate stock and I use a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 with Ballistic Plex. What a great load in this particular rifle.

I was a bit worried how the 7mm Rem Mag would perform on elk, but I am very impressed now and will definitely feel comfortable using it on elk again.

Firehawk,

Thanks for the info. Have you chrono'd the load?

Reference the 7MM Rem Mag as an elk cartridge, I have read more than one article that indicated it was developed as a long range elk gun. I'd bet there ain't too many that does it better!

Take care,

Tom

Tom 1911,

I have not chronyd the load yet. I would like to but I don't have a chrony and no one in my circle of friends has one either. Someday I hope to see how it does though. I would suspect 2950-2975fps or thereabouts as the ballistics seem to suggest this to be the case.

As far as the 7mm Rem Mag being an elk gun, I bought the rifle originally to be a good long range Muley and elk rifle. But.....over the years of reading these types of forums and various magazine articles and books, I was left thinking the 7mm RM was marginal as an elk cartridge. This was totally based on their words as I had never had the opportunity to shoot an elk until this year. Based on my experience, this cartridge had ZERO problems killing an elk. I do think that a bullet designed to penetrate well and dump plenty of energy is important. I think that the 160 AccuBond was great and I wouldn't hesitate to use the 160 grain Partition either. I have killed deer with the 160 Partition and every time, they dropped at the shot.

The only reason I used the 160 AccuBond over the Partition this year was because of the awesome accuracy way out there I get with it. I was grouping 3" at 340 yards. I didn't test that distance with the Partition but I have shot several 3/4" groups with the 160 Partition and IMR4831.

Frankly, I have had really good luck getting this rifle to shoot well. Nosler bullets have shot well as have Hornady SP in 139 and 154.

Good luck!

Firehawk

Nosler Part 150 or 160, Nolser AB 160 or CT failsafe 140 or 160 if you want to stick with just nosler offerings. If not the 140 or 150 Barnes TSX BT will also do the trick out of the 7mm rem mag.

I have used all but the 150 TSX out of my 7mm rem mags to harvest elk and/or moose. For sheer pentration an all copper bullet can not be beat but if your only taking a rib shot they certainly aren't required either. I personally don't like the Barnes for deer sized game but the failsafe does a better job on these, IME. Again depends on where you like to place the pullet, as all copper in the shoulder will get it done with any game and very minimal meat loss.

I'd let the rifle decided which load you take.

Good Luck

Tom,

In your first reply on this thread you said you would go with the 150 AccuBond. I don't think Nosler has announced one yet. I wish they would. Do you have your wires crossed or do you know something I don't?

POP":33trw2al said:
skeeter":33trw2al said:
Nosler Part 150 or 160, Nolser AB 160 or CT failsafe
Good Luck

failsafe go bye bye.

Pop, are you saying they are not going to be produced soon?? My pard shoots them exclusively in his 280rem, if so I know he'll want to stock up. If not, please explain.

Thanks

I am also not aware of 150gr/.284 AccuBond?????????????????

skeeter":2kf4qpk9 said:
POP":2kf4qpk9 said:
skeeter":2kf4qpk9 said:
Nosler Part 150 or 160, Nolser AB 160 or CT failsafe
Good Luck

failsafe go bye bye.

Pop, are you saying they are not going to be produced soon?? My pard shoots them exclusively in his 280rem, if so I know he'll want to stock up. If not, please explain.

Thanks

I am also not aware of 150gr/.284 AccuBond?????????????????

See my post here. If you can find them buy them, although everyone bought just about all of them at something like $5-$9 per 50. Same as the Partition Golds. Do not know anything on the 150 AB

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1604

Thanks POP, saw the thread. I haven't heard anything of this nature and stores still have supply with of course no sale for this bullet. No suprise living in Canada though.

I'll be sure to pass on the info to my partner. About time he tried something else any way... :lol:

Reloder28,

Sorry for the confusion: I would use 150 grain Partitions.

In actuality, I am sure either 150 or 160 grain bullets would work equally well. I know there is a subtle difference that can be proved on paper; however, we're identifying T-E-N grains' difference so I doubt there is a practical difference of big game.

Back