Need your pet loads for the .280AI

Razorbacker

Beginner
Mar 31, 2013
My barrel wasn't due til November but they had a cancellation so I lucked out and it's at my builder. It's a 26" Kreiger. Twist is 1:9 I will be loading Berger VLD Hunting bullets. It will be throated so that I can load long to maximize powder capacity.
I'm looking for max loads and velocities. And any other tips or tricks you can offer.
It's the Nosler SAAMI chamber BTW.
I am stoked to get a chance to blood this rifle this fall instead of next season.
Thanks fellers.

I don't use the Berger Bullets in my Jarrett 280 AI, but I do use two different Nosler Bullets and they both shoot bug holes! The 150 NBT I use a healthy dose of IMR-4831 and with a 175 NPT I use IMR-7828, both in Remington pre fireformed brass with F210M primers.

Don't load Bergers, but I'd bet the 4831's and RL22's would be right about where you'd wanna start with the heavier ended bullet. Sounds like a beautiful rifle!

Here's mine 175LRAB and 7828SSC 59gr if I remember right.

Or 160AB with 62.5gr of 7828SSC.

These are hot. My rifle is throated long so work up to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 805
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 805
nvbroncrider, that's outstanding marksmanship. Outstanding.

What kind of velocities are you getting and what COAL are you working with?

Jake that is scary accurate :)! Very good shooting!!!
Thank you for the load info as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for all the input guys. Now, if I could just find some LRABs in stock some where.

Yes RB, Nosler bullets are scares in this part of the country. I am on the list of at least 4 different dealers to get a couple boxes of the 150gr ABLRs in the 284. I do have 2 boxes of both the 150gr & the 168gr ABLRs so I am some what fortunate :).

Blessings,
Dan

Back