Needed load for Deer 6mm

Tough to beat the 6mm 95 gr BT.
The 6mm Rem guys will be along shortly to recommend some loads for you.

JD338

One load for both critters for me, depends where I'm at, or more so the size of the deer. I still prefer the 100 gr. Nosler PT for such for a one load setup, but may be not warrented for Antelope. Although the BT and AB would do well in most situations imo.
A starting load of H-4831sc or Alliant RL-22 be a good place ot start, and see what your rifle likes. H-1000 and RL-25 ain't beyond a look either. Personally I'm not much into much faster rates for this case capacity and bullet weight. But thats not saying H-4350 or RL-19 can't work or be accurate as well. Your rifle can only tell you what it likes.

Louie - Do you have a Nosler manual?

I've used the 95 gr Ballistic Tip loaded over a max charge of RL-22 with excellent results. Gets about 3,000 fps from the well worn 22" barrel of my (my son's) 6mm Rem 700 and is the single most accurate combination I've ever cooked up for that rifle.

Does a great job on mule deer. For example, one that he shot at about 275 yards: bullet entered the chest, destroyed the heart & lungs, exited into the off-side leg, shattered the leg bone and exited.

Yes, the little 95 gr Ballistic Tip did all that, and exited. My first clue that Nosler had toughened up the Ballistic Tip line a bit... Of course the mulie doe dropped instantly, no tracking required. He's achieved similar results several times now.

The 95 gr Ballistic Tip is really quite a deer bullet, and RE-22 is an excellent powder for the 6mm Rem. Work up towards the max level charges and you should find the accuracy you seek.

Regards, Guy

95-100 gr bullet 48 gr RL22

3248 fps in my Ruger #1 and 1,25" at 300 yards.

Great combo isn't it?

Did you zap a pronghorn with that a few months ago? I forget... Nice rifle/cartridge BTW! Classy.

Guy

I did in 1998

224002_1061880826688_3958_n.jpg

You're welcome Louie - hope it helps. I think any of the 95 - 100 - 105 grain hunting bullets over a decent charge of Reloader 22 should work well, but yes, I have to confess a prejudice towards the 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullet.

The 100 gr Nosler Partition took me by surprise at the range a few years ago though. I hadn't shot any in some time. Loaded them up, took 'em to the range and was rewarded by sub MOA groups even at 300 yards. Not bad for a pure hunting bullet from an old rifle with a much worn barrel!

The Partition always works.

Guy

Does anyone have field experience with the 90 Grain Nosler AccuBond? I shoot them with success in my 270 WCF and 300 H&H. I wish they made them in 100 or 105 gr.

David, who posts here as "6mm Remington" posted some bullet tests he ran on the 90 gr AccuBond, up in our bullet test section, but I don't remember if if he's taken any game with the 90 gr AccuBond.

He and his son have certainly filled a few tags with their 6mm Rem rifle though! Elk, deer, etc...

Guy

Back