New - .375 Ruger

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
What's the latest news on the new .375 Ruger? I hear that this is the latest joint offering from Ruger and Hornady, and should be out in 2007. It's supposed to fit in a .30-06 length action and offer similar ballistics to the .375 H&H. I'm interested to hear more about it. Thanks!
-TB

You stole my question TBASTIAN, saw Mr Hornady use it in africa on tv and was wondering how it compares to the 376 steyr ,looks a little stronger cant wait to find out.

Well, before I even see it I will ask...why do we need another 30-06 length cartridge that matches or barely exceeds 375H&H performance? If this is what Ruger wanted, why didnt they just chamber rifles for 375 Dakota, 375 Lazzeroni Hellcat, 376 Steyr, or 9.3x64 Brenneke. Ok so the Brenneke is probably out because it is not legal in all African countries, but if you are trying to make a short 375 to go toe to toe with the H&H in Africa... Goodluck. As far as stacking it up against the others mentioned, the Ruger will be another also-ran and the latest creation/sensation to get soudly whooped up on by the gray-haired champ of the medium bores. If they wanted an option to the 375H&H in a 30-06 action, it is my opinion that the 9.3x64 Brenneke is the logical choice. It can match velocity, bullet weight, and energy with the 375 H&H and the brenneke gives up only the slightest margin in frontal area. The 9.3x64 also gets the advantage in magazine capacity. Guess a new-fangled wonder magnum creates more press coverage and short term sales than a logical choice that was released in 1927.... The 9.3x64 Brenneke; what the basis for all these new standard length magnums should have been. :wink:

------------------------------------

HORNADY
Wayne Holt of Hornady also had some new for 2007 items for us to look at and after the presentation he told me that I could share all of it with the online reading audience. So for about two hours I sat patiently through the rest of the day's presentations, formulating in my head how to present this mountain of info. While I was planning my day four write-up, Hornady Marketing guru Neil Davies started to chew on Holt's ear about how he didn't think it was a good idea to let the information out at this point. So after lunch, with a smile on his face, Neil informed me that I can only report on the .375 Ruger, the new for 2007 round that Hornady is manufacturing.

GAert_072706B.jpg

New for 2007, Hornady Ammunition's .375 Ruger.

The .375 Ruger features a standard magnum bolt face, is reported as being the smoothest feeding magnum to date and will be available in 270-gr. SP, 300-gr. IB and 300-gr. FMJ.

The round has been field tested by Craig Boddington in Africa with great success. Boddington killed a hippo and two water buffalo with the round.

Look for a future in-depth review in a Primedia publication.
------------------------------------

Of course, the "water buffalo" is an editing error. Should be cape buffalo instead.

-Bob F.

I have seen alot of excitement swirling about this round on various forums. After seeing the .532" case head dimesion, it does seem to make alot of sense. Fits in standard magnum bolt face, 30-06 length action, and non rebated rim.... I am impressed. I think the velocity specs that are given are a little high, but that is okay with me. I don't feel significant velocity gains over the 375 H&H are the primary improvements of the 375 Ruger. I do hope this cartridge obtains a significant following. Maybe I will do my part and help usher towards success by purchasing a rifle chambered for the 375 Ruger. 9.3x64 Brenneke versus 375 Ruger; gonna be an interesting war in my gunrack.

Back