new 7mm08...interesting results

Aug 2, 2005
I took a new Rem 700 CDL 7mm08 to the range today with a bunch of hopeful hand loads in RE 15 that have always been good in past 7mm08s. It was a little blustery but LongWinters and I loaded up the truck and headed out.
I topped her with a 3X9X42 Zeiss Conquest and had my Smith work the trigger down to a crisp 2.75#.

Here are the 100 yd results;

150gr NPT 45.5gr ...................H 380........ 1.65"
150gr NPT 41.5gr ...................RE 15........ 1.20"

140gr NPT 41.5gr ...................RE 15........ 1.00"
140gr Sierra BT 41.5gr............RE 15........ 0.60"
140gr Nosler AccuBond 41.5 gr.RE 15.........0.55"

139gr SST 41.9gr....................RE 15..........0.95"
154gr SST 38.5gr....................RE 15..........1.00"
154gr SST 39.0gr....................RE 15..........1.30"**
154gr SST 39.5gr....................RE 15..........1.10"**

**both these loads had two shots touching with a flyer. I will try this combo again in calmer conditions.

I really was looking for a 150 or 154gr load for the close range shots I get in the swamps/conifer thickets I hunt up here for deer and Bear. RE 15 has always worked for 140gr and still does. Any suggestions for some heavier bullet recipes for the 7mm08? :grin:

Man... Given those results, I'd load up the 140 accubonds and hunt merrily away!

Excellent accuracy, and the 140 grain weight should work fine, in a sturdy bullet like the AccuBond that can be relied upon to both expand and penetrate.

Nice shooting Northwoods!

Guy Miner":3iervqxt said:
Man... Given those results, I'd load up the 140 accubonds and hunt merrily away!

Excellent accuracy, and the 140 grain weight should work fine, in a sturdy bullet like the AccuBond that can be relied upon to both expand and penetrate.

Nice shooting Northwoods!

Absolutely. What else do you need? :lol:

Thanks Guys... :oops:

those are my two pet loads for 7mm08...Though I haven't hunted with the Sierra bullets they have always been extremely accurate. I killed a great Antelope with a (2900 fps MV) 140gr AccuBond from a .280 Browning SS Stalker at 323(lazered) yds last fall in Wyo.
It fragmented on a rib upon entry.

My buddy Long has had three WT Deer kills with 140 Accubonds(7mm08) and has had some blow ups on bones (shoulder & rib) with the 40-60yd heavy cover shots we get up here. Maybe I'm just being picky but I'm looking for a good hole without bullet fragmentation at close range.

I am going to try some more work with 140gr NPTs and try some 160gr Accubonds too...I'll post results.

Northwoods Hunter":3fmmk1v4 said:
Thanks Guys... :oops:

those are my two pet loads for 7mm08...Though I haven't hunted with the Sierra bullets they have always been extremely accurate. I killed a great Antelope with a (2900 fps MV) 140gr AccuBond from a .280 Browning SS Stalker at 323(lazered) yds last fall in Wyo.
It fragmented on a rib upon entry.

My buddy Long has had three WT Deer kills with 140 Accubonds(7mm08) and has had some blow ups on bones (shoulder & rib) with the 40-60yd heavy cover shots we get up here. Maybe I'm just being picky but I'm looking for a good hole without bullet fragmentation at close range.

I am going to try some more work with 140gr NPTs and try some 160gr Accubonds too...I'll post results.

Yup I remember your pictures of that goat. Nice.

Well, I am having a bit of trouble with that "fragmented AccuBond" stuff. Not calling anyone a liar, mind you, but Maybe you guys are shooting a poor lot number. My experience with the 7mm 140 AB has been different, to be sure. I shot a decent muley at 220 yards with my 280 Remington and the 140AB [3050 fps MV] The bullet entered on a steep angle and broke major bone on it's way through this deer. I recovered it just hanging out of the hide in the far side, still weighed 112.5 grains, and no hint of a blowup. Another one broke both shoulders of a medium Black Bear and exited, exit about 1" in diameter. [Same rifle, same load] My hunting partner has had similar results on a couple of head of game shot. My go-to bullet for several decades has been the Partition, but the AccuBond is looking mighty good! Regards, Eagleye.

I am not sure...but I think my buddies were all Shooter's Pro Shop 2nds...mine also were. They say they are just as sound as the #1s.

My Antelope was quartering away...the 140 AccuBond hit the last rib angling forward...there were three exit wounds out of the lower brisket...no bullet was recovered

Two of the Whitetails my friend Longwinters shot had entry wounds in the shoulder area 5-6" in diameter where the hide. bone and muscle was blown off...small singular exit wounds I presumed to be the core.

Don't forget...where we hunt you will seldom get a shot over 50yds and many times shots are at 25-30yds...it is too thick and being Federal land, cutting shooting lanes is strongly frowned upon.

Shooting at these point blank distances is a little different bullet application than open hunting areas where shots can be 100yds and more.

If you are concerned about bullet construction with impacts at 25 yards, use the 160 gr NAB and all is well. I cannot think of any situations where the bullet would fail out of a 708 at 25 yards. Problem solved?

Thats what I was assuming initially... After doing some cross referencing I think I am going to try 48.0 gr of RE 19 with the 160 Accubonds and work from there...

Northwoods got our antelope results (with Ballistic tips) mixed up with my results with the whitetails (Accubonds). With the B.T's we had holes as big as a grapefruit. But with the Accubonds holes going in thru the hide (on both bucks quartering towards at 40 yds) were bullet diameter. Going thru the near shoulder and ribs about 2". Then about 2.5" on the exit ribs. But again on the exit hide the holes were only pencil size. This would say to me no petals. But both deer were down pronto so . . .

Long

Northwoods Hunter,

I hunt the UP as well so I understand the hunting conditions you are refering to. The 140 gr AB is perfect for hunting WT deer in the cedar swamps. With a load that shoots in the .5's, you can thread the needle if you have to. The 160 gr AB will work, but you may get some runners since the velocity will be lower.
I would go with the 140 gr AB and not lok back.

JD338

Hi There!

I shoot the 160grs ac from my sako in 7mm-08 rem and get 0.8 inc groops at 100m and 2700 f/s whit Norma MRP powder.

Its seems to me 2700 fps with a 160 gr AccuBond at a 50 yd Whitetail buck should provide optimum expansion/penetration ballistics....no?

It should expand well but hold together better than a 140 at 2900+fps at 50 yds. Or am I interpreting things I've read here about accubonds incorrectly? I'd like a decent exit hole through the hide for a possible blood trail...those I've seen from Long's 140 Acc were .284 holes and they were NOT big deer. We have some 200# Bucks lurking up here...across the lake from Canada.

My old SAKO.308 with 165gr Ballistic Silvertip @ 2780 fps broke ribs on both sides and gave me nice 0.60" exit holes on 165-175# Bucks. The 160 Accs should hold up even better.

Northwoods Hunter,

The 160 gr AB will expand on a WT deer and will give you more penetration than is needed. The 140 gr AB will give you a little more "shock" than the 160 gr AB due to the higher velocity.
Both will work. Try testing both bullet weights for expansion and penetration by shooting them into milk jugs filled with water at 50 yds.
Line up 7-8 jugs on a 2x12 plank and fire dead center into the jugs.
You should recover the bullets in jug #6. Measure the diameter and
weigh the bullets. The results will speak for themselves for your rifle.

Here are results from my M700 Classic in 280 Remington at 50 yds.

140 gr AB MV 3000 fps
wt. 98.7 grs (70.5%) Max dia. .6170"
wt. 105.2 grs (75.1%) Max dia. .5335"

160 gr AB MV 2800 fps
wt. 120.3 grs (75.1%) Max dia. .6340"
wt. 120.0 grs (75.0%) Max dia. .6140"

Regards,

JD338

JD338...Cool idea and results...

But will this test have the same results through hard bone, sinew, and tough hide of a large (200lb) animal. I am doubtful...

I believe that if the 140gr & 160 gr bullets wil the aforementioned ballistics went through rib or shoulder blade the 140 would lose its shell a lot sooner than the 160gr...don't you?

In my antelope and both Long's Whitetails all that got through was the core.

I appreciate the info but from what I've seen so far (in the field) I'm still leaning toward the Partition in the 140gr class.

Back