New Bullet, New Rifle, Easiest Load Development EVAH!

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
Wow some of the easiest bullets I've ever worked with accuracy-wise; Australian Copper Projectiles 155 gr Sidewinder:

http://www.auscopperprojectiles.com

Here is a link to buy em:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/70185

The rifle is a Weatherby Vangard onto which I put a brand-new take-off barrel chambered to .300 Weatherby Mag. I got an MPI synthetic from GB dirt cheap, and mounted a VX1 3-9x 40mm LRD in Warne rings.

This past Tuesday I went to the range with a box of factory 180s to get it zeroed and to see a baseline. Here is the first three-shot group I got at 100 yds w/ those:

Dr Mike kindly provided me Quickload data on the 150 TSX & IMR-7828SSC which I had laying around. I cross referenced that w/ Nosler & Hodgdon data and decided to try 3-ea of 85, 87, & 89 gr in 1x Weatherby cases sparked by Federal Magnum primers & seated as long as would function in the mag.

Like I said; WOW. First try!

85 gr IMR-7828SSC

Obviously precision-machined projectiles. A brand new unproven rifle & sub-MOA load on the first try. Can't wait to see what these do to whitetail deer, elk, pronghorn, & mulies!! Honestly hadn't intended to keep this rifle but if these perform half as well terminally as they do on paper that'll likely change, in which case the VX1 will get traded for a VX3 3.5-10x w/ B&C?

I'm loading up the rest of my ACPs, getting it zeroed, and taking it as my sole deer rifle this season!

Nice. I like the idea of bumping up to the 3.5-10x Leupold, good glass!

Not sure you'll really need the B&C reticle - as your 155 grainers out of a .300 Wby are going to be pretty much "hold on hair" out to 400 yards or more...

Good accuracy - I've never tried that bullet. Interesting!

Guy

Unless I can not navigate.... their website is terrible!

Where is their list of bullets bc's price etc? Specifically for the lightning

what is your bullets BC?

Yeah that company website is brand new and a work in progress.

I don't know he he has measured BCs.

I really liked the older Barnes 180XBT out of the 300 Win Mag. I also used the 210XBT out of a 340W. I had great results with the old 185XLC form the 338WM. I've had wonderful results with the older 250X, 200X out of my 35 Whelen AI. But, when they went to the TSX, I found them to work better across the board of all their designs. Seems to me this GS bullet, which gets really good reviews from those who use them on game too, with its relief grooves works similar to the TSX. I think the mono bullets in the magnums are really worth the cost, especially on heavy bodies, thick skin, heavy boned game. What I like about them is I know I can take a hard angling shot on my game which increases my shot opportunities. Getting older, time and money work against me and my hunting opps, so I like to increase my chances. In South Africa, I didn't want to pay for any wounded/lost game, so for sure I wanted the extra insurance of success. They are awesome in the right calibers.

Back