New Eyes for my M48 TGR 7mm-08 :)

bullet":2mt9vf7g said:
FOTIS":2mt9vf7g said:
So what is going to be your "LR reticule" load?

I will be using a 140gr bullet moving between 2850-2900fps and of course it will have to be under .5" when it comes to accuracy, and I will not be using the AccuBond since I will be making not only classic hunting shots out to 300yds where the AccuBond at 7mm-08 velocities works great but also shots from 300-500yds and so I will be moving to a standard cup core bullet that I know from experience will work on close shot maintaining integrity at 7mm-08 velocities and will still open up and expand in an acceptable way when making shots out to 500yds with a 7mm-08.

I guess that means the 140 BT?

FOTIS":1s7hts00 said:
I am thinking sierra BT?

Fotis, you have "svelte" (elegant and streamline thinking) my friend :mrgreen: Yes, over years of experience of hunting with cartridges that are of the same or about the same in velocity in the .270/.284/.308 class cartridges, the Sierra Game King BT has been more consistent than the Nosler BT for real up close shots and holding together, but they are pretty much equal in terminal results from 100-500yds although I still give the edge to the Seirra Game King as far as a cup core bullet goes. The Nosler BT will be tested in my loads because I will use the most accurate of the two. Now when I hunt tough stuff up close and have decided on specific game to limit my shots on big stuff to less than 300yds I will lean to the AccuBond or Partition, but for this LR Duplex it will be either the 140gr Sierra G/K BT or the Nosler BT.

The AccuBond does not do the job consistently in my hunting with it from 400 yds and on. I did not say it does not kill game, it does but I have had experiences with lower velocity cartridges (not with my magnums) where the bullet did not expand much and I am left with finding my game (I am talking about good shots made in the kill area). The Partition is not consistently accurate from group to group nor from box to box for me to use as a long range bullet although I have used a few times on long shots and it kills great. I just like consistent accuracy. I am sure others have had great fortune hand loading Partitions, but I have had to much up and down with the Partition when it comes to the accuracy I am looking for and I only like using them in slower cartridges out to 300yds (that is just a thing with me and could me my fault with my hand loads).

I think you'll be in great shape with the regular bullets Mike. I can't imagine you'll be sniping bull buffalo with your 7-08! Sierras are a great bullet as well.

SJB358":33marpig said:
I think you'll be in great shape with the regular bullets Mike. I can't imagine you'll be sniping bull buffalo with your 7-08! Sierras are a great bullet as well.

Scotty, the jury is still out one whether it will be the 140gr Sierra SBT or 140gr Nosler BT, which ever one is the most accurate will have the privilege of riding in the chamber of my rifle. :mrgreen: OH!! The buffalo, I have the 358Win for that one or a host of magnums :)

Those 140 BTs are just awesome in my boys 7x57. Little tiny groups. Not quite as fast as I would like them, but they are pretty consistent so far.

SJB358":29ew7rg1 said:
Those 140 BTs are just awesome in my boys 7x57. Little tiny groups. Not quite as fast as I would like them, but they are pretty consistent so far.

Had to order some more 140gr BT's did not have enough to finish my testing but they do look good for accuracy at the moment Scotty.

Back