New Gun Tune Ups.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
My little Bro just bought a 300 WSM in a Remington 700 SPS. Took it out to the range the other day to see what it would do with some factory Winchester 180 gr. NAB's. IT WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

So my Question is what do you do to a new rifle when you get one to get it to shoot?

Here is what I have on my to do list: Free float and glass bed, adjust the trigger, start with some well put togeather handloads, check all scope screws and action screws, and clean the crap out of it to make sure that all of the molly is out of the barrel.

If you guys can think of anything else, or dissagree with me fill me in.

Thanks

jmad-81
How many rounds did he shoot?
I have a Vanguard and after I shot about 50 rounds thru it, it started to group nicely. I didn't clean the barrel till I got home from the range. I use this as my break-in period. After the break-in then I'll play with loads.
A friend also bought a Kimber in 300wsm and her rifle started grouping after about three boxes.
Her rifle likes Federal factory.
Mine likes reloads. Plus I can't afford factory and she is part owner in a gun store so she can. :)
I've done this for all my new rifles. They are all stock except for the triggers.
As to what your doing, if it works for you , why change it. The only thing I have concerns about is the moly. I don't shoot moly ever. JMO

I would first make sure all action screws are set to the proper torque spec. Double check all scope mount and rings.
I would then put together some good hand loads with different bullet styles and weights and check for accuracy.
If after all the above doesn't help accuracy, then I would look into beddiing the action.

JD338

Jmad, your list is my list, and JD caught the other important items. I would start with the better shooting, cheaper BT's until I had an idea what the rifle would do, then I'd switch to the more expensive AB's, but overall, you are on the right path.

The other day I took my new .308 DPMS ar15 to the range after breaking the barrel in for a couple of days. I used Federal match ammo, Winchester match ammo and Black hills gold match. You may not believe this but, the winchester match created a 3.5 inch triangle on my target. The ammo made the rifle go all over the place. The rifle really liked the black hills gold and created a 1/4 inch group. I may be crazy but you might try some different ammo. Your rifle might just need a different combination of ingrediants. Good luck. :)

Like stated above:

Start with the basic checks and ammo change. If these do not work then starting with the bedding stuff.

Just a thought- is this a new rifle? Check scope rings bases etc. maybe try a known scope.
if that dont do it, send that sucker to Remington and let them look at the barrel, crown, action etc. Just my .02 CL

First thing I'd do is work the trigger down to 2-2.5# and then reload some ammo with a couple different powders. My guess is that it will shoot at least 1" at 100 yards which is plenty accurate for most...To be completely honest, I've only had 1 rifle that I've tried to bed and float the barrel becuz it wouldn't shoot for shhit and that was a win mdl 70 in 7 STW. Nothing would help that gun besides a custom barrel...I've shot a lot of Rems, Wins, and Rugers and ALL would shoot 3 shot groups of 1" or BETTER at 100 yards with just a simple trigger job and reloads. No special bedding or floating needed for any of them. Simple as that.

Remington wont address the problem very good, if at all. If it goes "bang" and shoots a 3 inch group at 100 yards, thats "good enough" for hunting. Remingtons customer service is not that great from what I've heard. Fortunately no first hand experience with them. All my Remingtons have shot .75" or better so I cant complain. If for some reason I happened to get a dud remington, its off to the gunsmith for a rebarrel job. If it wont shoot with a simple trigger job and several handloads to see what it likes, chances are it aint gonna get much better, simple as that...

Back