New lot of brass?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I'm tossing a lot of PPU 25-06 brass that I used in my 6.5-06. I had a good load with 54.5 grains of RL22 and 125 partitions but had pressure signs at 3100 fps. I'm switching to Hornady brass. I tried a few shots at 54.5 grains just to see if I could get lucky but the groups opened up. Speeds were 3088 fps so I'm close. Would you do a full on work up or just keep creeping up in powder to see if groups shrink?

Alderman":2gjzkbhc said:
I didn’t know they made a 125 Partition for the 25-06.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They don't. But according to WT, this is for 6.5-06. He used 25-06 brass and necked it up to 6.5.

WT, I'm a little confused. You're saying you had pressure at 3100 with the old PPU brass? If so, what speeds was your good load at?

What is the goal. 3100 fps is Noslers max speed. I would give R-26 a go, if you have any, or R-23.

Weird. The accuracy/velocity node shouldn't change...But with that said, it sounds like you already know what you need to do and that's work up another load if it's not shooting well for you at 54.5 with the new brass. But I would also try a few at 54.6/54.7/54.8 to see what they do. Might save you from reworking the load. Just my 2 cents.

Do both, up the RL22 and try a slower powder as suggested.... RL 22 spikes fast. Be careful !!!!

My good load was at 3100 but there was the start of pressure signs. I would get a round here and there with heavy bolt lift. I don't care for the PPU brass so I'm trying the Hornady brass.

I would really like to get 3100 with accuracy.

I don't have any 26 on hand to try, but I'm looking for some.

Before you creep up in powder, try a few once fired rather than new. You may just need to fire form your new brass. Or you may find out you need to add or subtract more powder once it's formed.

Back