New Member and New To Reloading

Rich is spot on. Those two have either saved me alot of money, or have cost me alot in bullets and brass. Hard to tell just yet, but I do have a bunch of bullets! Scotty

Big Concerns Here:
1. Okay still working on where to get 338 Win Mag 225 NAB bullets. (Have left a few messages for those stating they have some)

2. CCI or Federal Magnum Primers? I have gone to about 11 internet sites and 2 local stores. Everyone is out and some even state will not backorder.

3. Am I going to run into the same problems with powder?

I noticed a post in another thread where the individual stated he had problems getting these necessary requirements after buying all the equipment so he is essentially dead in the water.

I can have all the equipment in the world but if I cannot get all of these, the purchase of equipment is futile.

Kindly asking, any thoughts. Are primers, bullets and powder a problem getting?

Sincerely
Steve

Any gunshows coming to your area? That is usually where I get powder/primers, no Hazmat. Anyone else in your area load? I have helped a couple loaders in this area. Components have been hard to find since the newbie was put in the whitehouse. Midway may put you on a waiting list, worth a try.Rick.

Steve, don't worry too much about primers, I think your best chance of primers is going to a local reloading supply store. If you cannot find any primers in any stores, then try out Midway, Midsouth Shooters, and there are a bunch of others these guys will know, but I think your best bet is to find them locally and buy from them. Same with powder. Your best deal will be to find it locally if possible then, if you run into a wall, order the stuff from one of the above. Make a large enough order to make the 20.00 HAZMAT fee not seem like so much for ya.

As for what type of primers, I use CCI250's in my 338 Win Mag. I would use any of them though, Winchester, Remington, Federal. I think most will agree that they are all pretty decent.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... **17587***

Also, bullets shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on. Midway has about every 338 Nosler bullet but the 225gr AccuBond. If you have your heart set on that bullet, then wait or look for another vendor, but if you can sway a little, you could really do alot worse than the 250gr AccuBond, 225gr Partition, or 250gr Partition for a heavy 338 Win Mag Load and you aren't going to lose anything.

Primers are coming back pretty quickly in my area. Powders are all pretty well stocked up in my AO also. Bullets, are usually something you will have to order to get what you want, most of the time. Check out BIVWAK and Shooters Pro Shop. Either of those two might have something that you can get for a deal. Don't shy from seconds. I shoot them alot and haven't found any that shoot less than stellar groups. Good luck. Scotty

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... andId=1758

Steve,

Any magnum primers will work. Generally, CCI 250 and Federal 215 tend to be somewhat hotter than Remington 9 1/2. Having said that, any of these primers will work. Should you find primers available somewhere, it might be a good idea to secure enough to last you for the year. Anticipate how much you will shoot and buy enough to ensure that you are not left waiting until you can secure more. With powder, try to get two or three powders that will work well in your rifle and test them. IMR 4350, H4831 sc, and either ReLoder 19 or ReLoder 22 will serve you well with 225 to 250 grain bullets. There are shortages in both primers and powders presently, but they are in short supply on a local basis rather than being unavailable (with the possible exception of Federal 215 primers). Let your local supplier know what you are looking for, or as Rick suggests, ask to be put on a waiting list with national suppliers. In Canada, I receive a phone call from major suppliers when product is available because I have asked to be placed on that notification list. Again, checking with gun shows in your area is always a good plan. Also, check with other hand loaders whom you know in your area. Generally, we are a generous lot if at all possible.

Thanks DrMike!

Good News! I was able to find a place here locally and was able to get 200 today. (2 boxes of 100 a day per person. I will go back tomorrow morning and get more. A year's supply is a good idea.

Thanks All
Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the forum. There are many very great contributors to this site. I see that you are located in Colorado Springs. Great area for big bull Elk. I hunted outside of Westcliffe several seasons and scored well each time. Two nice 6 points and one fat cow. Be careful with the roads. The road you go in on might be impassable on your way out. Personal experience in 1992 was 70 degrees two days before opening day then four days later -25 with three feet of snow on the ground.

As for reloading let be stress that much, make that very much, of your success will depend on brass preparation. Get two RCBS handles, one for the primer pocket brush and one for the .338 caliber bronze brush. Clean the primer pocket well and then 5 or 6 strokes to the inside of the case neck.

Experiment and you will find increased accuracy when loading your rounds close to the maximum length allowed by the magazine. The overall length will vary from rifle to rifle.

Now the best part. After you work up an accurate load, say a 1/2" three shot group at one hundred yards. You are near the Sangre de Cristo mountains and drop a huge six point bull at 200 yards with a round that you developed and loaded. Do you have goosebumps yet?

I don't know if you have ever shot an elk before, if you haven't, they are big animals, very big. Do yourself a favor and pack four plastic tent stakes and a good length of parachute cord in your fanny pack. Get his head uphill and stake him out spread eagle. Makes the task easier and cleaner.

Good luck

Jerry 919
Nosler's Shooters Pro Shop
Bend, Oregon

Steve, you can also find quite a bit of reloading equipment in this area on Craigs list. I've found more then one bargin there.

A very sincere thanks to every single person posting. I gleaned valuable information from every post.

Very Special Thanks to JD38 and beretzs. They made themselves totally available for my newbie questions. And even an extra big thanks to beretzs for getting me started with some nice Nosler bullets.

Here is what is either in transit to my abode or I couldn't wait and got at Sportsmans Warehouse.

1. New Nosler 6 Reloading Manual (Now I see why this is so important - and it is hard cover too; nice job Nosler; even your manuals are quality!

2. RCBS ROCK CHUCKR SUPREME MASTER RELOAD KIT

3. 1000 CCI Magnum Primers (Locally at Sportsmans Warehouse - had to get my family involved these last few days - only 200 per person per day)

4. 100 338 Win Mag 225gr Nosler AccuBond

5. 1200 PRO TURBO TUMBLER

6. NEW CHRONY MODEL F-1 (Lower model but I can add on later to this same model)

7. RCBS POWDER TRICKLER

8. RCBS FL 338 Win Mag Dies

9. 2# of RL 19

10. RCBS #4 Case Holder

11. RCBS PRIMER PKT BRUSH COMBO

12. RCBS POWR' PULL BULLET PULLER (Just in case!)

13. Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel

14. Big Carrying case for all the new toys

I have not bought anything for the 44 mag yet but as I can see from other posts, I am not the only one that likes 44 mags. :)

...and my wife was totally all for this. What a woman!!

Thanks all
Sincerely
Steve

Steve,

You are off to a great start. Wow, and to have a wife that supports your habit! Make certain you treat her to a great dinner out with roses and chocolate.

Steve,

Nice way to start out! You have everything you need.
As for the 44 Mag, just dies and components and you will be set.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions, just let us know.
We are here to help!

DrMike has a great point, take your bride out to dinner. :wink:

JD338

I second taking the wife out to DINNER! That wife is right on! Glad you were able to get your stuff together. If you want some more 225gr Accubonds, let me know, I think I am sell mine off and stick with the heavier 250 and up bullets for my 338. I think I have another 100-150 around. Good luck, let us know when you start getting some of your stuff in. Did you get a bench to set your stuff up on yet? Scotty

Stevesdl,

Welcome to the site and the life change hobby of reloading. You have gotten some great advice from a bunch of great guys. If I could add two things to your list, they would be:

A Good Notebook to Take Good Notes on your reloading attempts/experience. Record the good things, the bad things, measurements, expectations, results, conditions, components used, etc.. It will be come invaluble in a short time.

Get a Hornady OL Gauge and Comparetor set so you can take easy and consistant measurements for bullet seating depths/adjustments.

Again, welcome.

Rod

Back