New member need help with 30-338 Winchester load

I use a fair amount of IMR powders, shooting in temperatures ranging from -30 C to +30 C. The emphasis on temperature sensitivity may well be over hyped.

Ehgbyf":3rkuqaqp said:
Is imr powder still sensitive to temperature changes?

I've not noted any substantial problems at normal hunting ranges. I've checked at nearly 15* F and then as high as 90*F. Just can't see enough difference with my chrono to affect my hunting.

I have used IMR powders from 120*F to -30*F, since 1963. After Hodgdon purchased IMR about 10 years ago, any disparity between burning rates at various temperatures disappeared. Recent testing data that I have seen for IMR 4350 shows less than 1,000 psi burning rate pressure change over the range of 30*F to 90*F.

Welcome to the forum, that is a very cool build :wink: sure hope you can post a photo or 2 of it.
There will not be a question that you ask that won't get answered on this forum. Most of us will even answer questions you didn't ask :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Ehgbyf":7ciyr31j said:
I agree. I am very fortunate. I built the gun in 1993 and upgraded the scope about 4 years ago.

What's your twist? First one I build (1986) had 1/12 twist next one 1/10 newest one has 1/11 Lilja barrel. I was at RCBS few years ago and Fred Huntington 30-338mag is still there good history on that rifle.

You will want to look at H4831 sc also, thats what I ran in my 30-338 with the 190 vld. My old smith builds a pile of these every year and 4831 is what he tests with.

Thanks for all your help.

I ended up with 75 grains of r22 with 165 grain AccuBond. Average of 3160 fps with a sd of 18. Used norma brass and federal 215 match primers. Great accuracy.

Back